Traveling through the Southwest

Southern_guy

I and some friends are planning on taking an extended road trip through the Southwest. On the way to the Pacific, we will pass through Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and California. We will be in the cities of Reno, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Dallas, and San Jose in the course of the trip.
I'd like to have some sort of firearm along the way, but would rather not end up in prison. I'm debating between taking a Glock 19 with a few ten round magazines, a S&W Model 10, Colt Python, or a compact 12 gauge shotgun.
Would these firearms be legal options in the listed states and cities? Thanks for your input. The weapons would be primarily kept in either a glovebox or in hotelrooms.

AH.74

In NM you can do anything in your vehicle that you can legally do in your home- it's called extended domain. You may CC or OC in your vehicle but if you don't have an accepted permit only OC outside of the vehicle.

In AZ make sure the guns are cased or in holsters in the vehicle. You can OC or CC (anywhere not prohibited) without any permit.

Go to handgunlaw.us

Each state summary has an RV/Car carry section and lists other states' permits accepted.

AH.74

That's not the law any longer. All that stuff went away with constitutional carry.

I'm not so sure. There is still a reference to cases and holsters in ARS 13-3102-B-3-e.

What is your interpretation of that section?

Bernie Lomax

I'm not so sure. There is still a reference to cases and holsters in ARS 13-3102-B-3-e.

What is your interpretation of that section?

That modifies Subsection A, paragraph 2, which pertains only to those who are under 21.

The new constitutional carry law only applies to those over 21. The old rules still apply to those under 21.

Last edited:

Southern_guy

Would a locked trunk or glovebox be considered a container by state law? And does the NM doctrine that your car is an extension of your home apply to non-residents?

Bernie Lomax

Would a locked trunk or glovebox be considered a container by state law?

Unless you are under 21, you don't have to worry about that stuff.

And does the NM doctrine that your car is an extension of your home apply to non-residents?

Yes. It would be a violation of the privileges and immunities clause of the U.S. Constitution if it didn't.

AH.74

Yes. It would be a violation of the privileges and immunities clause of the U.S. Constitution if it didn't.

What Bernie said.

Think of it this way- no matter what state you're FROM, you follow the laws of the state you're IN.

A/C Guy

In Ca, be sure that the gun is unloaded and locked in a case in the trunk and keep the ammo in a separate container.