Trapshooting: Which gun and why?

Harry Callahan

All,
Looks like many of you read my other post regarding my trip to the Kenosha County Gun Range over the weekend with my son and some friends. We both did very well after such a long layoff but find ourselves wanting to explore the sport further. He's even asking about getting a shotgun of his own. I already have a Stevens 12 gauge side by side(nothing special). We both used this and are pretty comfortable with it so far. However, I know there are other platforms out there that we might like even better. My buddy brought his Remington 1100 12 gauge which is a very nice gun but I don't like the thought of picking up shell casings all over the place afterwards. I do like that it is very easy to shoot without beating the heck out of your shoulder. O/U is very intriguing. Looks nice, but I didn't get the chance to try it. Just seems like a side by side at a 90 degree angle which would still batter your shoulder over time. Don't mean to sound like a wimp but I'm not 25 years old anymore. I've used pads to cushion the impact but still am very sore the next day. Was just wondering what everyone else uses and what pros and cons to each. TIA.

Dustin0

Remington 1100 is a good choice you can get a shell catcher for it. So you dont have to pick hulls after your done. Also Beretta 391 trap is a very soft shooting gun. Might want to take look at one of those. If you are going to reload you can so soft shotting loads with the right powder.

zippy13

I started shooting trap with a Remington 1100 Trap model (with a shell catcher). That was before the Beratta 390 series was introduced. It wasn't long before I switched to combo rig.

Most serious trap shooters shoot singles and handicap with a long single barreled gun. For doubles, an O/U is preferred. That's why the combo is so popular -- same stock and action for all of the trap events.

Since I shoot a lot more .410 and 28-ga than 12-ga, I'm recoil conscious. The first way to reduce recoil is to have a proper fitting gun. My 682x has been ported and had an air unit installed.

oneounceload

If all you want to do is trap singles, I have seen Browning's BT-99 selling for a reasonable cost in various locales. Used would be even better.

To avoid recoil-related issues, get the heaviest gun that can be handled - somewhere between 8 and 9 pounds - and shoot 7/8 oz. loads - those things, coupled with a good pad and a properly-fitted stock will make recoil go away.

For shooting singles and doubles, a good O/U will do. I'm sure BigJim will be along to tell you about the XT Brownings - he has more experience there than I do

BigJimP

Yes, for Trap - like OneOunce I like a longer and heavier gun ( for Singles, Doubles or Continental Trap ) I stay with one gun primarily. I like an O/U with 32" barrels and around 10lbs. I like a heavier and longer gun because in Trap vs Skeet - there is less, left to right barrel movement - the longer gun helps give a longer sight plane - and heavier gun helps make a smooth follow-thru.

Most, if not all, TrapShooters pre-mount their gun - so to me, its an advantage to shoot a parallel comb gun, with an adj comb, so you can adjust the point of impact / and on a parallel comb gun - the point of impact doesn't change as you move up or back on the stock ( winter vs summer shooting clothes). Most Trap guns - shooters like to float the targets above the barrel - so a gun with a pattern that shoots higher is a good thing - like a 60%/40% on point of impact or even 70% high/30% low on point of impact ( both barrels - should have the same point of impact).

My Trap gun of choice is Browning Citori, XT, 32" and adj comb / I think they are retailing for around $ 2,750 new / but there are lots of XT's around used and in poor to very good shape ( $ 1,500 - $ 2,500 probably ). Some of the used guns will have GraCoil recoil reduction systems in them / which I like ...

Having said that - you can shoot Trap / or any clay target game with whatever gun you want. I shot Trap for years with a Browning BPS pump,
28" barrel and ran a lot of 25's with that gun. I got more fluid / and more consistent with the heavier gun / but a Trap specific gun isn't mandatory - but they're nice to have.

I like the single barrel Trap singles specific guns as well - Browning BT-99 or the older BT-100 are great guns. If I go to a single barrel specific gun for Trap / I like a 32" or 34" - but I still prefer the O/U as a more versatile gun.

In contrast - my Skeet, Sporting Clays gun - is lighter and shorter - I go to an 8 1/2 lb gun / with 30" barrels ( more left to right target movement / a little quicker swing / but still heavy enough to give me a decent sight plane and good followthru.)....

If I were to go to a semi-auto / one gun to do everything --- I would go with a 12ga and a 30" barrel ... and it'll do everything pretty well.

I have a completely rebuilt shoulder / just turned 60 / and since I tore the Bicep as well as rotator cuff, bone spurs, etc ...it was a mess. I'm back shooting now after about 6 months / bicep is shortened and it'll never be 100% like mother nature intended ...but with some weight lifting, I'm back shooting Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays ...with very little pain. Proper gun fit / maybe a GraCoil system / and some light loads are the cure. I never shoot more than a 1oz load at around 1225 fps ( 1 oz of 8's ) for Trap, Skeet or Sporting in my 12ga's ... it's plenty of shot / and like others advised, 7/8oz is a good choice too.

JoeBob

I've shot with a Beretta 391, Browning XT, and Remington 870. All are decent trap guns, all with different advantages/disadvantages/restrictions. The 1100 is another good one to throw in the mix. If I only planned on shooting singles or doubles, and recoil was the biggest factor, a 391 (or 303, 3901, 390, etc) or 1100 is hard to beat for the price.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
I've shot more trap with 870s than anything else. But then, I've shot more everything with 870s.

Still, for trap singles, an 870 properly set up is a great choice.

When I got serious about trap maybe 10 years past, I tried a used offbrand O/U which didn't work out. I swapped it for a 870TB trap gun and never looked back.

Most dedicated trap guns run 8-10 lbs. I added weight (Old thread about experiments in reducing recoil) and used a patterning board to dial in the POI/POA I wanted. After Heaven knows how many straights I sold it to a friend who got his first 25 straight with it shortly thereafter.

Using an 870 for trap singles and handicap makes a lot of sense. Here's why...

Expense. A decent used trap grade 870 can be obtained for around $500 or less at this time. While many trap guns get shot with high frequency,since 870s last like bad reputations, a high round count with an 870 just means the action's slicker.

Reliability. Rudy Etchen took one of the first 870s to the Grand National in 1950 and shot the first 100 straight in doubles with a pumpgun. He repeated that at intervals into the 90s with the very same 870.

Triggers. Timney, Angle Port and others will make your autoloader's trigger, for a price, break like an 870's does right from the factory. My TB broke cleanly at 3 lbs, 12 oz and stayed there for more than 20K rounds. In fact, the heaviest field trigger here on an 870 is about 5 lbs,and that matches the Beretta O/U here.

Adjustability. The shim kits sold with Beretta autos and others just copy what some of us have done for decades. Using home made shims between stock and receiver to dial in the POI is easy and quick. And needed.

Accessories. From custom stocks(Jack West for synthetics, Wenig etc for wood) to custom trigger groups(Timney) to mag cap weights, pads, chokes, etc, there's a ton of stuff made for 870s.

HTH....

zippy13

Just a quick reminder for the newer shooters:
The 870TB that Dave describes it a totally different gun from the 870 Express. There are several TB's on the gunbroker.com for well under $500. A new 870 Wingmaster Classic Trap (below) has a MSRP of $1038.00. The Pigeon Grade Winchester Model-12 is also a popular choice for a trap gun, but they are old school and pricey.

870classictrap-prod.ashx

BigJimP

A lot of this comes down to prices and budgets .....in shooting ....and in all hobbies, in my opinion.

We all have to be honest with our own budgets ...and if you can easily afford a $ 3,000 - $5,000 shotgun ...going to a good Trap dedicated O/U is not a problem. Not to mention / everyone should shoot the gun they love to shoot ....whether that's a Rem 870, a Perazzi, a Krieghoff, a Browning ...etc ..

Shooting an 870 like Dave did / a Browning O/U like I do .... or any of the guns like my friends Zippy and OneOunce describe isn't really that important - if it fits you - and you have a good time. The type of action, particularly in singles Trap, just isn't very important ( its only one shell at a time ) ...now in doubles, or Continental Trap where you can load 2 ...it might be an issue. But like Dave and Zippy said - accomplished shooters shot pump guns for many years and set all kinds of records ( but their guns "Fit" them ) ...

I think, no matter what hobby we pursue, most of us like fitting into "the group" and having equipment that "fits into the norm"... Now in almost every thread like this someone will pop up and say they shoot their $200 pump so much better than any of those guys with their multi-thousand dollar fancy guns ...and it might be true ...if that gun "Fits" them well. But sometimes, getting equipment that is just right / allows a shooter - or a cyclist, a skier, a golfer -- to just get to the next level, and improve their performance a little more, get more consistent, etc ---and some of it is just ego ....but having "nice" guns that "Fit" is better than having "beat up" guns that "Fit" - in my view.

I'd love to have a fancy Krieghoff KX-5 Trap gun ( they're amazing guns ) / or a K-80 Trap combo .....and I may someday ...but in the meantime, my Browning XT's will work just fine ...

http://www.krieghoff.com/ki/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=2

I have the priveledge of going this weekend to visit my son and one of the older grandsons ....and shoot some Trap ...and tell some lies. My wife isn't going / so we'll eat badly ...(and I'll tell her I had a salad ..)/and I won't feel guilty ! ...but its all about hanging out for the day, shooting some targets ...just like you are with your son ...that makes the difference / not the gun you shoot.

Last edited:

swmp9jrm

If your budget is on the short side like mine, take a look at the Browning BPS Trap. It's a pump gun, so maybe not the best gun for anything other than singles, but it works great for me.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Jim, Amen....

Fit is crucial. I'd rather shoot a Maverick that fit than a Perazzi that didn't.

So is time with family and friends. For me it started in our pasture, with an old Outer's or Herter's trap, some White Flyers,and the shotguns we hunted with. Some times neighbors would hear the shooting, grab their shotguns and come on over. Those Bassler brothers were good. Pop was better.

That was 50 years ago in a life far from boring.

Give your son memories like that.....

Ricklin

Here Here Dave

One of my son's fondest memories is shooting "pasture clays" up in Spokane in the snow with some of the kin folk. He's 34 now.

zippy13

Some times neighbors would hear the shooting, grab their shotguns and come on over.
Those were the days. Around here, we can no longer shoot within the water district (the closest thing we have to a municipal boundary). These days, if the neighbors hear shooting they'll dial 9-1-1.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Did have a neighbor later complain later about our little shooting range. It had a great backstop and we could get about 22 yards for shooting handguns. The neighbor had also griped about the smell from our manure pile.

We sure didn't tell him to NOT take a sniff before buying land downwind from where the waste from 5-8 Quarter Horses was deposited.

He got nowhere with either whine. The farm was there first, and so was the range. The LEO that showed up to investigate "Shots Fired" was dept instructor and a fellow gun nut. He tried out my GM, the Super Blackhawk, and so on. He pronounced the range safe and cited prior use statutes.

As for pasture clays, wish I still could,and wish harder I could shoot with those folks again. All gone now...

darkgael

yep.

getting equipment that is just right / allows a shooter - or a cyclist, a skier, a golfer -- to just get to the next level, and improve their performance a little more, get more consistent, etc ---and some of it is just ego ....but having "nice" guns that "Fit" is better than having "beat up" guns that "Fit" - in my view.

Absolutely true. I'm a newcomer to the Trap game but not to shooting competition. My guide to what is desirable has always been "look at what the winners shoot". Yes, we read posts about the guy with the $200 gun who......
That is the exception, not the rule, and has a lot more to do with the shooter than the gun. If $200 pump guns shot that well all the time, then we'd see the "big guys" using them. They don't.
Unfortunately, I can't afford (at the moment) what the "big guys" do shoot, so I'm happy to take my old Ithaca or the Parker out and have fun and learn.
(Shot my second session of Trap the other day. I'm hooked. Going again tomorrow night. With the old Parker SXS, I'm hitting more than I'm missing but that position 5 is tough for me.)
Pete

zippy13

darkgael said:
I'm hitting more than I'm missing but that position 5 is tough for me.
Pete, my friend, part of being new to trap shooting is finding your hold points. Post-5, especially the hard right angle bird, is hard for most. For old pharts, with slower reaction times, you may want to move your hold point a pinch farther to the right and a pinch higher. That will reduce the needed gun movement to get on the target.

A secret to all clay target shooting is getting the gun smoothly from your hold point, to seeing the lead, to shooting the target and following through. Watch some some clay shooters, trap or another sport, the difference between the new shooters and the masters is obvious: The new shooters will hold too close, and then when they see the target they have to swing like crazy (often in a series of jerks) to get on the target and take their shot. The masters hold out, they have a good look at the target and know here it's going, then they start the gun moving to smoothly take their shot and follow through.

There's a lot of wisdom in the old shooting mantra: "You have all the time in the world, just don't take it." What the masters are doing isn't done at a leisurely pace. Being able to quickly analyze the target and coordinate a smooth successful shot is why they have practice fields. By holding your gun father out, you're providing the time to coordinate your shot. Much of shotgunning success is getting in touch with your own abilities and begin able to determine your hold point in all manner of target presentations.