Trapper 94 at the range

9ballbilly

Well, I finally took my new to me Winchester Trapper .30-30 to the range on sunday. Shot two 5-shot strings off a rest and two off-hand standing at 25yds. All landed in the 8,9,10 rings.

Since I don't hunt and intend to carry this rifle for SD while backpacking and camping I was very happy with this. Hopefully with a bit more practice I'll be able to improve some. Particuarly holding the rifle to my shoulder when cycling the action for quicker follow up shots if necessary, as this does not come naturally to me.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience with this classic (ca 1980) lever gun.

PawPaw

I don't have any Trappers, but I've got a couple of Win 94s that I've had for several years. They're good guns. Real good guns. Coupled with the .30-30 cartridge they're quintessentially American and capable of taking just about any game on this continent. They've got plenty of inherent accuracy, certainly as much as most of us can practically use. With practice, you'll get better at cycling the action from your shoulder, it's a learned response just like most other shooting activities.

Buzzcook

Get off the bench and stay off.

You should eventually be able to keep all your shots inside a 2' target at 100yds. If you practice.

Have fun with that.

thedaddycat

First just practice holding it up and cycling the lever. Hold it up to your shoulder and sight down the rifle, maybe swing it like you're following a deer through the woods. Pretend you just shot the deer and cycle it like you're making a follow up shot. Just hold it back against your shoulder firmly with your left hand and work the lever. Let the hammer down, then go through it again. And again. And again....
Take it out and put about 100 rounds through it at a sitting. Try getting the sights to more or less stay on target, or put two targets up a couple of yards apart and shoot one then the other. Try it right-left and left-right, as you never know which way the game will be moving. After a while it will be second nature. How much so? About three deer in three seconds worth.... (and at varioius ranges and angles). All of them dropped in their tracks and twitched a few times, that's about all.