Trap Shooting Shotgun

Bullrock

Today at age 69 I had my first trap shooting experience with a loaned Browning single shot. In 2 rounds I missed :mad: more than I hit, but I'm hooked :p . The Browning seemed large and cumbersome. (I don't know and didn't think to ask what model, but it was an older shotgun). Do any of you good folks have recommendations on an inexpensive shotgun for old fart trap shooter? I was thinking about the Mossberg 500? What gauge, length, action, etc. I really think I could have shot better with a smaller shotgun so I would like to head in that direction.

Much Obliged!

K80Geoff

How well do you handle recoil? If you get into trap it will become a factor.

I would suggest getting to know some of the shooters and usually they will let you try their guns. Also consider renting various guns first to see how they shoot.

I normally recommend two guns to new shooters, the Remington 1100 or the Beretta390/391 series.

Consider also taking a lesson from a pro. Always a good idea starting out in any sport.

IMHO/YMMV

NGP58

Sounds like a BT99 or 100.I have a BT99 stainless with a 32" barell and I love it, but everyone is different you have to find a gun that's comfortable for you to shoot. An inexpensive gun to start with is a pump or semi-auto trap guns and many gunmakers have reliable affordable models. For example, Remmington makes a model 870 pump and 1100 semi. It all depends on how much you want to spend. Try out different guns at the trapfield, Trapshooters will usually be more than happy to let you try out their guns and answere any questions that you have. It's important to find one that "fits" (feels right and shoots good) then you will know what to buy. A good place to find a great used gun is at a trapfield, someone will buy a new gun or have many guns and will give you a good deal on one. That's how I got my BT99, shot a round with it(took it out for testride,kicked the tires) I loved it. The guy made me a super offer $950.00 including Browning hardcase. I snapped it up instantly! :D

HunterTRW

I once asked the late Gene Hill the same question. His response was, "An inexpensive and good way to start is with either the Beretta 303 trap gun or the Remington 1100. Both have good barrels and light recoil and point well. I also suggest you start and stay with the light one-ounce load." I took his advice and ended up purchasing a Remington while attending their shooting school in Nevada. Initially I favored the recommended model 1100; however, I was ultimately swayed by the beauty of a special edition model 11-87 (with upgraded wood and a nickel-silver receiver) that they offered.

Once you own a suitable gun, I urge you to join a local gun club. Of this, Gene told me, "When you do join the club, take advantage of the many offers (maybe) to 'try my gun.' It's a good learning process for which I know no substitute...except vast wealth."

Good luck to you, and welcome to the brotherhood!

Last edited: