Transitions

Lurper

Here is an excerpt from the video on transitions. There is a bit more to it, but this should get you headed in the right direction.

evan1293

Once again, great job and thanks for taking the time to make/ post your vids. Now I know you mentioned releasing the trigger.. do you ascribe to the trigger slap technique for multiple shots at fairly close distances or do you release the trigger to reset. What are some adv / disadvantages that you have found with both methods? I know a lot of top shooters who slap the trigger (leatham, jarret , ect ) and others that go to reset (sevigny ect..)

thanks

Bob F.

Lurper: Thanks. Are you, in fact, the instructor in the vids? Just curious.

Evan: To me slap vs reset depends on your level of training and your weapon. My usual CCW, informal match, training weapon is a Glock 19. The Glocks have a very distinct reset. It's easy to learn to "ride the sear" on a Glock. Unfortunately, I don't shoot nearly enough to stay on the ball there. I'd think one would tend to get sloppy and slap, slap, slap in an up-close-and-personal social scenario unless having undergone very extensive training.

Having said all that, I'm really green!

Bob

evan1293

yeah I shoot a lot (about 1000 rounds a week) and my practice is split pretty evenly between my G17/G34 and 1911s. I find that the slap technique works well for the 1911 but for the glocks it seems like going to reset is a bit better, due to like you said, the distinct reset. I have a hard time slapping the trigger on the glock because of the large amount of take up for the safe action trigger system. I just wanted to see what others thought about these two techniques and which they prefered. Ive been using the slap for the 1911s and reset for glocks which probably isnt the best idea to have two different systems... Im open to suggestions of how i can better my approach.

Erratic

I've enjoyed watching all your videos and look forward to future ones. I use your info every time I hit the range. Keep em comin!

Lurper

Thanks for the compliments.
Yes, that is in fact me in the videos.

I don't really like the term slapping the trigger. To me, it implies that my finger leaves the trigger. It doesn't. It's sort of like reset in that I am aware of how far the trigger needs to travel when released, but my guns are all modified so there is no slack in the trigger. The biggest problem with using that technique on DA autos or Glocks is the enormous amount of trigger travel. I use the same technique for every distance. Having said that, it is pretty much the same technique that Rob uses (since he was one of the people who taught it to me more than 20 years ago), so if you call that slapping, then that is what I do. I prefer the J. Michael Plaxco term: pressing.

HiltonFarmer

Nice video Lurper.

I like the way you use the recoil of the gun to get you to a target to the right.

BTW, does that thing in your back pocket make your back sore from sitting on a lump!? :p

HiltonFarmer