Transfer Question: do I have to ship to the destination FFL

doofus47

I couldn't find this topic when I searched, but if it's buried deep maybe it needs updating anyhow.

so I am going to visit a friend in Texas. I don't live in Texas. He and I have been talking about selling (to him) one of my firearms.

If I brought it down with me and we spent some range time together and he liked it enough to buy, could I then just walk into a local FFL with him while I'm there and do the background check for xfer there? Or do I have to take the firearm back home and ship the firearm from my home state to the FFL for some reason?

Thanks
d47

ScottRiqui

I don't know why you couldn't just walk in and do the transfer in person, but if you find out any different, let us know - I'm thinking about doing the same thing in the future.

could I then just walk into a local FFL with him while I'm there and do the background check for xfer there?
Yes. The FFL will log it into their books from you and out to him. There's no difference between receiving it via UPS and having it dropped off in person.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
One thing --

Legally you could personally deliver the handgun to the Texas FFL for transfer to your friend. But be advised that I've heard reports of FFLs not being willing to handle a transfer on a "walk-in." While I can't see why, that would be the FFL's prerogative.

Of course, were that to happen, you could just go down the road to another FFL.

Technosavant

Tom and Frank are correct.

It does not matter if you ship or walk in to the FFL. Some will not receive guns from individuals, but it's not a federal rule but a personal rule.

I have indeed sold a gun like this- the buyer was in the next state over but close by, so I drove across into the neighboring state and handed the gun to the FFL. He logged it in and handled the transaction with the buyer on his end as he would any other.

The one thing you'll want to confirm is that the FFL will receive the gun from you just walking in.