Trajectory figures for 22lr zeroed at 75 yards

phil mcwilliam

A couple of weeks ago I stopped at a gunstore to stock up on centerfire hunting ammunition. As I was browsing the shop a CZ 22 caught my eye. I realized that I hadn't owned a 22 rifle for a number of years, since the last 30 years has been spent hunting game with centerfire rifles. I am now the proud owner of a CZ -452-2E ZKM Deluxe. I topped it off with a Leupold 2-7 x 33 scope.
I've bought a variety of ammunition to test including Winchester powerpoint, Winchester superspeed & CCI minimag, & am itching till I get up to my mates 2,000 acre property in a weeks time, so I can sight the thing in & then go hunting.
I want to sight in for 75 yard zero, & was trying to recall my teenage years-(some 30 years ago), when I knew the trajectory figures for a 22lr sighted at this distance. Is it dead-on at 25 yards, + 1 Inch at 50 yards, dead-on again at 75 yards, then 3 inches low at 100 yards? My memory fades when it comes to 125 yards, but if any one can confirm or correct it would be appreciated.
I will of course confirm information when I'm sighting in, but a little knowledge before hand may go a long way.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

This is a pretty good online program.

Fill in the ammo type, weight in grains, and diameter (inches, not metric) and it will give you the ballistic coefficient. Then fill in the velocity, sight height over the boar, zero distance, max distance (out to 1000 yards), increments in yards (which will allow up to 50), 10, cross wind information (I usually state ZERO cross wind), and you should be good to go.

Brad Clodfelter

1. Range Velocity Impact Drop ToF Energy Drift
    0 1200 0 0 0 128 0
    25 1155 0 0.91 0.07 118 0
    50 1118 -1.63 3.44 0.13 111 0
    75 1085 -5 7.72 0.2 105 0
    100 1055 -10.24 13.86 0.27 99 0

Last edited:

Scorch

Typically, with most high-velocity 22 LR ammo, 1-1/2" high at 50 yds, right on at 75 yds, 3" low at 100 yds. Velocity may vary a bit out of your rifle, but that is usually how I sight mine. Then hold right on for head shots out to about 80 yds, right over the head at 100 yds, top of the ears at 125 yds.

mes228

Truth

This story is not a tall tale, it's true. As a young boy we lived on what some would call a small mountain. Several hundred yards away (don't know exact yardage) was another large hill/mountain with a tobacco patch. In the evening you could see rabbits come out into the bare area. I've sat on our porch, held the .22 at about a 45% angle and killed rabbits. Kinda lob them in like a mortar. You could see the impact in the tobacco patch (very small new plants) as a puff of dirt at the bullet strike. The rabbits would not run, just sit still. Using "Kentucky windage" and adjusting for the "puff" seen on impact. It would take 2-3 shots, but I've done it. I may be the only person alive to actually kill rabbits at several hundred yards with a .22. At least I'm the only one I've met. Just an old man reminiscing.