Training out of bad habits

HistoryJunky

I went shooting for the first time with my newest addition to the family, my CZ-85 in 9mm. My groups were pretty decent at 10 yards, but they were all low right while I was aiming at the bullseye. I am not a new shooter, but I don't have any real training other than NRA Pistol and my CCW certification so I could get my permit in Illinois.

According to the various charts on the internet, if I'm reading it right I am tighening my grip while pulling the trigger. I am a left handed shooter, so I just read the chart backwards?

Anyways, if I read that right, is this something that you can train out of without too much difficulty? Or should I seek some instruction to get my rounds to line up with my POA?

HistoryJunky

I know it sounds stupid, but I don't really know what classifies as jerking the trigger. I dry fire every day, and it doesn't really seem like my sights move.

I have been putting my shots in the same spot with every pistol I've owned. I just don't get out to shoot that much so it's hard to see if the dry fire is doing any good.

I haven't done that method with the coin in awhile, but I tried it just now to see if that explained things. I can keep the coin steady, and my sight picture doesn't move even if I shoot in double action.

I've heard some people say just to adjust your aim accordingly, but I'd rather be doing it right in the first place.

Sarge

Shoot the gun from a rested position, single action, from no less than 15 yards. Then you'll have an idea whether it's you or the sights.

HistoryJunky

I will have to try it rested as I'm pretty sure its something I'm doing. As I said, I've had the same issue with other handguns.

g.willikers

Air guns are a great help being able to verify where you are actually shooting.
And without the need to go to the range.
With all the realistic replicas available, it's not difficult to find one that mimics your firearm.
Many serious shooters use them for convenient practice.

HistoryJunky

Air guns are a great help being able to verify where you are actually shooting.
And without the need to go to the range.
With all the realistic replicas available, it's not difficult to find one that mimics your firearm.
Many serious shooters use them for convenient practice.

I will look into that as well and see if I can find a CZ-75 style gun. You mean like airsoft or a bb gun correct?

SlvrDragon50

If you haven't already, you should join the CZ forum at czfirearms.us. We have a dedicated CZ replica section which you can sift through

driz

A good way to see if you are jerking is have someone random load a couple dummy rounds in each mag. If you are jerking it will be:( painfully obvious. It's also great weapon malfunction clearing practice to boot.

g.willikers

History Junky,
My favorite air gun place is pyramydair.com.
Lots of good info as well as having most everything in stock.
I have pistols in bbguns, airsoft and pellet guns, all powered by co2 cartridges.
These days, it's not a huge difference which you choose, all are well made and accurate enough for indoor distance.
Whatever is the closest to your firearm is fine.
Blowback versions of semi auto pistols are the more realistic, having actual recoil about like .22 rimfire.
This one might be right for you:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/CZ_75_CO2_BB_Pistol/3480

HistoryJunky

That appears to be a quite good CZ airgun. It looks very authentic and to scale, and even about the same weight. I'll have to see if I can convince the wife that dropping 150 or so on a BB gun isn't completely insane. :eek:

g.willikers

Warning.......
Air guns are habit forming.
I now have nine of the little beasts.
And the ones I use the most.
So, careful.

I was listening to a recent American Warrior podcast and the host, Mike Seeklander, a noted firearms instructor, said he uses them, too.
As do some of the top 3 Gun competitors.
I got the idea of airguns from one of the best of our local guys years ago.
No question, they really do help keep ya' sharp, especially with handguns.
Plus they're just plain fun.

My most recent acquisition is an Uberti replica of the Colt Peacemaker.
When I showed it to another enthusiast, it took quite awhile for him to realize it wasn't an actual firearm.
It even loads with authentic looking cartridges.
Got him again with my airsoft 1911.
Some of them are really that good.

Last edited:

HistoryJunky

Yes I have seen some very nice airsoft guns. Do you recommend airsoft or a bb pistol? Or are they pretty much even for training benefit?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

g.willikers

I have pistols in bbguns, airsoft and pellet guns, all powered by co2 cartridges.
These days, it's not a huge difference which you choose, all are well made and accurate enough for indoor distance.
Whatever is the closest to your firearm is fine.
But definitely get a blow back version for realism.
The most accurate, though, are pellet guns with rifled barrels if absolute accuracy is important.
But at the 7-10 yard distance here, there's not a big difference between them.
Pyramydair has a bunch of videos demonstrating their wares for comparison.
Here's one for the BB gun version of the CZ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw9TKvpIEN4
How about a shell ejecting version in airsoft - very cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBqusiqm4Xs

Last edited: