Training and the 45 vs 9

EnochGale

FUD, where I am going is this.

If you just punch static paper, you are not getting an adequate read of your performance.

Recoil characteristics and recovery time for the next shot are important.

Accuracy at 75 ft is of course a good thing but it isn't the distance of most fast moving incidents. 7 yards is even a tad far.

I think that before you go down all the jello junky stuff - it would be better to determine how well you shoot each caliber in multiple round timed situations.

All that wound cavity crap is a waste of time if the recoil impulse in a large caliber is such that you can't move quickly to recovery of sight picture or move to a new target.

Lighthen up on the techno babble and train in realistic scenarios. A well trained person with a quality 9mm is worth more than some novice with a 45 who shoots worth s**t.

Paper punching is an inadequate test.

HiCap

Here here. That is why you should use a 45 and train until you're better than anyone with a 9mm.

David Scott

You are correct about a trained person with a 9mm being more effective than an amateur with a larger caliber. If you want real training, start shooting IDPA. It's intended to simulate real situations with multiple targets, fast follow up shots, etc.

FUD

EnochGale, you initially had me confused as to exactly what you were talking about until I realized that you were continuing a conversation that we were having in another trend that was closed due to size. Just as an FYI for the future, next time you may want to title this as "... Part II" because I almost didn't stop by to read this topic.

What I originally said was that I do slow fire at 75 feet and rapid fire at 25 feet (which is very close to the 7 yards / 21 feet that you make reference to). While I agree that ideally the training should be of a more intense / realistic nature than merely shooting at stationary targets, I no longer wear a uniform for a living and when time & resources are limited and facilities are lacking, you try to do the best that you can with what you got. Regards, FUD.

EnochGale

Thanks, but one can do split times at a range with a timer (if you can get it quiet).

My point was that when considering a round, you have to consider your own performance as
well as the jello stuff.

I would rather have fast, accurate 9mm strings that a slower 45 ACP string.

ljlcdl

"Recoil characteristics and recovery time for the next shot are important"

But not always caliber dependent. For me, a G17 is faster to the first shot vs a 1911 but the big boy is just as fast once brought into action. And a G30 will be much faster, for me, than a Kahr K9. YMMV.

ljlc

jimc

second the idpa matches. what difference does it matter what you carry as long as you feel comfortable and confident, who cares.
i spoke to a few of thwe local cops in the area and asked how the one liked his glock in 40 #&W adding
"one who practices with a .22 is far superior to one who does not with a .45"
with that the other cop laughed and said to his partner "you hear that!" than he turns so i can see his carry gun an n-frame $&w revolver!! stating that "i have carried this gun for 20something years and know what it can do and how well it does it!!
so let's try to avoid the which is better caliber and just go with what feels good to you