Trail Boss stinks

Russ5924

Don't get me wrong tied the stuff for the first time today worked great. But what are the Australians making the stuff out of Kangaroo droppings:eek: That stuff to me has the worst smell of any Gunpowder I have ever used:barf: Didn't help had the wind blowing in my face every shot:)

Doodlebugger45

I can't say that I remember any particular smell to it when shooting. I do recall noticing some difference in odors between certain powders, but not enough to remember for long. I kind of enjoy the smell all powder makes. Black powder smells the best to me but I haven't shot that in many years.

noelf2

I like the smell of powders too, and I've just loaded up some with trail boss in 45 colt. Now I'll have to try to smell the smoke.

Doodle, you have me worried! Black powder smells like bad flatulence and charcoal... :barf::barf:

Doodlebugger45

If it has a tint of eucalyptus to it, then maybe it's koala bear droppings. I hate the smell of eucalyptus though so I should have noticed. But then again, I also like the smell of diesel fumes (but not unburnt diesel) so my opinion probably doesn't apply to most.

Master Blaster

Is it worse than the Unique and ALOX lubed bullet combo? If so then .

I have been using trail boss for .45 acp, .45 colt, .44 magnum, and .357 mag light target loads for about 3 years now, I also tumble lube all my cast bullet with liquid alox. I have never notice any horrible smell or any smoke. I used to use Unique for all of those target loads, Unique is like Black powder by comparison, huge cloud of acrid stinky smoke.:)

Master Blaster

Is it worse than the Unique and ALOX lubed bullet combo? If so then .

I have been using trail boss for .45 acp, .45 colt, .44 magnum, and .357 mag light target loads for about 3 years now, I also tumble lube all my cast bullet with liquid alox. I have never noticed any horrible smell or any smoke. I used to use Unique for all of those target loads, Unique is like Black powder by comparison, huge cloud of acrid stinky smoke.:)

farmall

+1 on the nastiness of Unique coupled with Alox! That stench'd knock a buzzard off of a rendering truck!

Andy

Scorch

But what are the Australians making the stuff out of Kangaroo droppings
Wallabee droppings, not kangaroo
If it has a tint of eucalyptus to it, then maybe it's koala bear droppings.
It seems we have some experts on Australian poop on TFL.;)

Is it worse than the Unique and ALOX lubed bullet combo?
Unique stinky?? How dare you? We Unique afficionados like to call it "aromatic", it smells like powder should.

I also like the smell of diesel fumes
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like . . . victory!
Notice any similarity?

farmall

I have no problem with the way Unique smells, until you add the Alox into the mix! It then creates a funk that you're not sure if your tasting or smelling!
And I like diesel smoke too!

Andy

ophidia

The smell of a diesel semi on a really cold day is one of the best smells in the world. Of course, that's nostalgia from when I'd ride over the road with my dad when I was a kid...

I like the smell of powder, both before and after firing. H110 and #9 are the best smelling ones.

tomh1426

Trail Boss smells like ammonia or cat P, at least it did when I was shooting it in the indoor range.
Besides that Its a great powder, it meeters great and fills the case pretty good.