Trail Boss and Lee Auto-Disk

fshfindr

Hi, has anyone tried Trail Boss powder in their Lee Pro 1000 with Auto-Disk powder measurers? I am about to purchase some Trail Boss but first I want to know if it will measure as good or better than Unique. Loading with Unique it is difficult or impossible to see into the case of a 38 Spec or 357. With Trail Boss the case will be more filled and hopefully, I can see it. I'd like to see powder in the case before I seat the bullet. Yes, I have has some squibs. Thanks.

Axelwik

I don't have a Lee, but it works well in my Lyman 55 and Redding powder measures. The density of TB is very low, so it takes up a lot more volume.

mikejonestkd

Trail boss is a great powder in 38 special, especially for shooting lead at modest velocities. it meters better than you would think from looking at the little gray donuts of powder. I use a lee auto disk measure and it runs just fine though it.
I like it better than unique, it tends to meter more consistently and I can see the powder in the case easily.

IMR's website has load data for trail boss, and its a great starting point.

fshfindr

OK, thank you. Now I just have to find it. Everyone seems to be out of stock. I was going to get one pound to try it, now I'll get the 5 lb can. As usual, you guys came through, I really like this forum. Thanks.

As you've found out, Unique, while a hugely versatile powder, just doesn't meter all that well.

While the shape says that Trail Boss shouldn't meter well, it actually meters brilliantly.