Traditions Rifles

I received the spring 2009 master catalog from MidSouth Shooters recently. They sell Traditions firearms which I have no clue on their value.

Are these rifles a good run of the mill firearms? I'm not looking for a specific application rather just wanting input on them in general. Are they quality built? Do they have any problems with reliablilty? Difficulty in getting replacement parts? Do they hold their value? Are there better rifles out there in similar price ranges? Accuracy issues with the given purpose of the firearm?

These are the generic questions I have about them. Any other information I haven't asked is appreciated.

Jack O'Conner

A few years ago, the Nebraska state record non-typical elk was taken by a youth hunter armed with a Traditions 50 caliber carbine. CABELA's featured this short version for a time - appeared like a cut down Hawkin rifle.

My nephew in Pennsylvania has a flintlock version in 50 caliber as well. I've shot it many times but was never impressed by the obsolete flintlock ignition system.

Fit and finish appears good. Seems like a good muzzle-loader for a reasonable price.

Jack

elkinforestsized-1.jpg

KROIL

I have a Traditions 3-band Enfield Musket. I.D. to the original civil war version. Its .58 cal. with a rifled bore. Musket cap. Very high quality rifle. Freehand I can put 5 in a row on a paper plate at 200 yds. I had read that the union AND rebel snipers were taking officers out of the saddle at 1000 yds with the original. I think it could.

Too bad they're not as popular as they could be. Seems to me that they're nice, basic firearms that would be great to have if on a budget.