Traditions Hawken .50 cal

I just run across a couldn't refuse deal on this pristine Traditions Hawken .50 cal muzzleloader. I've got quite a bit of time and experience with black powder pistols but this is my first muzzleloader rifle. I was always debating between the newer inlines and these replicas of the olden days. When this deal presented itself i couldn't turn the other way!

I've ordered a round ball mold for this seeing how i'm going to cast my own round balls. With this gun having a 1 in 48 twist I'll also venture into conicals to see what exactly this gun likes. Word has it this type of gun likes either 240gr or 300gr XTP conicals over 90gr of real black or pyrodex loose. Anywho we shall see ....

OH, did I mentioned i picked up this beauty for $120 ? :eek:

bc301b3c.jpg

Last edited:

arcticap

That's a beautiful Traditions Woodsman Hawken rifle for a great price!
Try not to beat up your shoulder too much with those loads, use some padding!
Enjoy and let us know how it shoots! :)

I'm curious to see how the recoil is on this rifle. I'll tell ya though, I put 50 rounds through my Mosin M44 in a single session and felt that for 3 days so I'm no stranger to self inflicted punishment! :D It's all in the name of fun!

simonkenton

Thank you!

Nice gun!

I have done quite a bit of hunting with the TC Hawken with patched round balls.
Pretty accurate, with 80 grains of black powder, neither the hog or the deer could withstand a lung shot from my fierce Hawken.

Good luck with your new Hawken, ditch that sabot stuff and stick with the Davy Crockett load, patched round ball!

Last edited:

Pahoo

Very nice and at a great price. Let me know when you get around to running conicals as I have a couple of different molds that I have decided to sell. Looks like a bit of range-time, is in order. Enjoy and thanks for showing us a Traditional for a nice change .... :)

Be Safe !!!