Traditions 1873 Frontier

deerslayer303

I just went and put one on order. I had to support my small town hardware store, so I had him order it for me. He was happy to get my business. I ordered the 5.5" barrel model with the color case hardened frame and Walnut grips chambered in 45 Colt. I can't wait to fire these big slugs. A set of dies and a bullet mold are on the top of the list, whew, almost a buck a round, can get costly quick. I'll post pics of it when she gets here.
c53d8cd6d9ba1ff73072044e48b54ffd.jpg

deerslayer303

Hey thanks, The Remmie will always be a front stuffer, won't say she won't have a conical or two shoved in there a time or two though. I hope these Traditions (Pietta) don't have the billboard slathered on the barrel. It doesn't look like it from the pics. We shall see. This one may make a trip out to see you too Mike, we will see how it is when it gets here.

Hawg

The hammer block prevents hammer over travel and the bolt block prevents sideways movement. Personally I don't see either one as being an issue but I do know Wolff springs will make the action a lot smoother and lighter.

45 Dragoon

Well, the bolt block prevents the twisting of the bolt which in turn keeps it from turning into a ramp and being pushed down allowing throw by. It will also compensate for a worn or too large bolt window. It gives the action the most solid lock up that you can get. Since they are a zero tolerance fit (which bolt windows aren't), every SA will benefit. It is also a necessary item for fanning ( which means it protects the bolt).

The stop actually stops the cycle. Otherwise, the cycle stops because the hand is being forced against the cylinder ratchet as you thumb the hammer back ( the bolt has already locked the cylinder.). This saves wear on the hand, ratchet, cyl. locking notch, and the bolt head. These two items are why my service is a lifetime service. Every SA should be equipped with them.

These guns come with "tuned" actions but it is really after mrkt. springs. When I got my El Patron Comp. I took out the wires and put in a combo spring (tuned of course). The wires take away a lot of "feel" to me and aren't as tunable as the flat springs. A bolt block fitted and an action stop installed and the result is a smoother , lighter ,more crisp, "bulletproof" action.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Last edited:

deerslayer303

SHE'S HERE [emoji1] Man this thing is sweet. I'm not well versed in the 1873. But for a novice like me, this thing is awesome. Pietta is making some FINE guns nowdays. Can't wait to sling some lead with her.
b8aedc7fa84dd8bbcc5b32c6d2147514.jpg
8bd98c4522abfaa12a0c4e9227f0ce48.jpg

Last edited:
The good: This one's got no nipples too loose down the house's drain. The bad: I can imagine a Blackhawk, Bisley, perhaps the real deal a P model some day hanging on your hip.
Handsome looking six gun that Traditions is. No doubt about that sir.:)

deerslayer303

Haha you remember me losing a few nipples down the drain do ya? And yes you are probably right about the Ruger. But what is a P model?

your Nipple fiasco. Oh you bet.~~lol
Model P is the real deal >Colt SAA.
BTW: I learned something from this thread 303. I didn't know Traditions had their 1873s made by Pietta. Even so. Now that you got this handsome brand new in the box 1873.__ "Yaw-gotta-go and make some holes with it!!"__
I'm curious to see its 25-50 ft targeting.

Tip: If intending to reload for this pistol. Check out (Castpics) for a recipe.

Trum4n1208

You'll enjoy it. I had a Traditions SAA in .357. It was a gorgeous pistol, and function was top notch. I found I didn't care for the caliber, but getting another one is high on my list, as they're excellent. Pittas cartridge guns, like these Traditions revolvers and their Great Western II line, are exceptional.