Traded XD-45 Tactical for Interarms .280 Remington.

TheNatureBoy

I don't know much about this rifle. I was assured by my friend (the guy I made the trade with) that I was getting a good deal. It was made in 1970 and is in mint condition. He left a Bushnell 4x12 Banner scope on it. I traded the XD 45 because I hunt and I'll get more use out of the rifle vs. the hand gun. What do you guys think?

Jimro

As far as dollar amount is concerned, that deal is roughly fair, sometimes you can get more for an old Mauser than other times.

The barrels on those old MarkX's were a bit "soft" so keep in mind that it will give you a lifetime of normal hunting use, but it'll run short as a target rifle.

Jimro

Scorch

Sounds like a good deal. You will enjoy that cartridge, I am sure. 280 Remington shoots about as fast and flat as a 7mm Rem Mag with less recoil. Good choice.

crowbeaner

Nice trade; I think you made out ok. I'd shoot it until the bore erodes to the point that it won't hold 2" and put a Douglas on it. Real good caliber; the Speer 130 and 145 grainers will put down any deer sized game, and a 160 Nosler Partition will be the demise of wapiti or Bullwinkle. Mauser actions last almost forever, so you definitely have a good start on a custom.

Jimro

TheNatureBoy, with heavy use where the barrel on the old MarkX's will wear faster than on similar rifles. The steel is softer which also makes it tougher.

However I'm not familiar with any bull barrelled MkX's so it could be a custom job which means that it would probably be harder steel.

The MarkX's in 375 H&H were highly thought of in Africa for being reliable and affordable.

Jimro

TheNatureBoy

I really appreciate all of the responses. The rifle is in fact a custom job with a Douglas barrel. It was made in 1969 for a gentleman who was in the military. The price was $1200. For what ever reason he couldn't come up with the money so my friend purchased it for $600 in 1970. Again, thanks for the responses.