Traded into a Hi Point 995

IDAHOMIKE

I haven't had the coin to buy stuff, so I had something the neighbor wanted and traded it for his Hi point carbine. Its in decent shape and we took it out for a test run. Offhand she's beercan accurate and I'm happy with it. 100 percent reliable, even with the 15 round Promag that I've heard so many bad things about. My eyes didn't like the peep sight so I turned it into a ghostring. Much much better. Used the factory Weaver mount and made a light mount and have a cheapy LED lite in it. Sweet litle package for super cheap.
Anywho, been using it in the HD role. Anyone else use the Hi Point for HD?

Last edited:

Ridge_Runner_5

It's a great home defense weapon, but is also fairly accurate even at long range for a 9mm...

100_5811.jpg

1005916hp6.jpg

olyinaz

I have a pistol but I see no reason whatsoever why a 995 wouldn't make a fine home defense weapon and I own one just for fun. My only beef with it is that it's a bit heavy but if you're a healthy dude that's not an issue. Just make sure you test for function whatever you're going to stock it with! You'd hate to need it in a bad situation and find out the hard way that it wont feed whatever you filled it with.

large.jpg

Best,
Oly

IDAHOMIKE

Good to see some fans. I tested it with Fmj so that's what's in it now. Not the most effective I know, but the reliability is good.

ritepath

I've always wondered about the cheap carbine for SD, I have a sub-2000 that has never failed to fire or jammed (about 800 round is all I've fired) I keep it handy but for close encounters in the home I'm reaching for my M&P even though I would a whole lot rather use the sub2000....I just can't seem to put my life on the line with the 350 dollar rifle.

Crosshair

The only complaint I have with the 995 is the lack of any reliable hi-cap magazine. (Yes I bought the 15 rounders when they first came out, then tried the replacements they sent me when they turned out to be crap, the replacements were crap as well.)

There isn't really a magazine well on the gun, that is taken care of through the the stock. I don't see why someone couldn't make a stock that took a different brand of magazine. Is there some reason with the design of the gun?

Hard to blame Hi-point for it. The 995 came out during the AWB so 10 rounds was tops anyway. That and single stack mags tend to be more reliable.

Ridge_Runner_5

Hi Point has decided to maintain the 10rd capacity so that they can continue to offer the gun to people in California, New Jersey, etc...

Crosshair

Hi Point has decided to maintain the 10rd capacity so that they can continue to offer the gun to people in California, New Jersey, etc...
That doesn't prevent a 3rd party from making an aftermarket stock for it though that can take different mags..

olyinaz

That doesn't prevent a 3rd party from making an aftermarket stock for it though that can take different mags..

I agree but honestly it should be Hi-Point that offers a hi-cap version of the thing. Their new stock adapted such that it takes Glock mags would sell like hot cakes IMO but I guess they're selling every Carbine they crank out anyhow so...

Why ATI doesn't fill this niche is beyond me.

Regards,
Oly

Ridge_Runner_5

It would still have to use single stack mags. The barrel's feed lips wont accomadate a double stack..

Deaf Smith

It would not be difficult for an aftermarket manufacture to make a stock for the HP with accomidation for, say, Glock 17 mags. The single postion magazine Glock mag would work fine.

In fact, one company DOES make a aftermarket stock fori the gun. Someone needs to write them and plead for such a stock.

And while they are at it, a better thumb safety. The HP safey is just so cheezy.

gotigers

2 weeks ago, I found a HP 995 with the ati stock at a local gun show for $200. I put a Truglo red dot on it. At 30yds it is a silver dollar accurate. I love these cheap and cheap to shoot plinkers. And they would be fine for home defense. Great for taken out zombies to. Mine hates reloads. Winchester white box for it.

Pre red dot pic:
hipointC.jpg

IDAHOMIKE

Email sent to ATI. Let's cross our fingers. I can already see my Hi point with a 33 round Glock mag sticking out the bottom.

SeattleGunNut

The Hi-Point Carbine is a great, GREAT firearm. For the money, it is a paragon of reliability, so long as you use the factory 10rd magazines. The carbine received a bad rap as it was one of the guns used by the Columbine twits.

chris in va

For the money, it is a paragon of reliability

Uh huh, sure it is. That's why mine has been back to HiPoint three times now.:rolleyes:

But now that I'm reloading 9mm I can actually afford to shoot it now.