Traded in my M&P 45 today!

I would just like to start off by saying that there was nothing wrong with my M&P 45 and in fact it was an awesome, reliable and accurate gun. I just never fell in love with it.
I'm kind of a Glock guy, just not the kool-aid drinking kind, it was my first semi auto handgun. A G22 that I will never part with and then I bought his baby brother a G27. The other day I shot my G22 with a LW 9mm conversion barrel and I thought about how much I liked the feel of the 9mm in that gun and how much more affordable it is to shoot!

So, I got to thinking that I always wanted a G19 and that although I liked my M&P 45 I never loved it. Took it to a dealer today, cause I'm too lazy and impatient to wait and sell it myself, looking to trade it in on a G19 3rd generation. When I got there he didn't have any 3rd generation G19s but he did have a G19 RTF there. I will admit that at first glance I didn't care for its looks, but once I got my hand around it I fell in love quick. It has a very aggressive not slip feel to it and it felt better in my hands than a 3rd Gen.

The weather sucks so I'll have to wait to shoot it but I know I'm going to love it. I bought 400 rounds a Wal-Mart today to run through it. I think I'm going to wait and shoot it once I get my Heinie straight eight sight in and get her all adjusted at once. I love this sight; I have them on my G22 and G27.

Glocks are not the best for everyone, but they are perfect for me and I'm not going to fight it anymore!:)

Last edited:

rsxr22

i agree with you. I like the mp pistols but much prefer glock. Not really sure why i guess im just more comfortable and used to that platform

pacerdude

Was the Glock 19RTF a new gun? Not that it matters, just curiosity speaking.

I am glad you are happy with your trade!

Sturmgewehre

I haven't fallen in love with the M&P either. The guns just don't do anything for me. For now I'm sticking with Glocks and XD's, both of which I find to be exceptional handguns.

Boats

Epic fail on two levels. It's also a .45ACP for a 9mm. It was like trading off a big busted all-American sweetheart for a disfigured miniature Austrian circus freak.

jknight8907

Epic fail on two levels. It's also a .45ACP for a 9mm. It was like trading off a big busted all-American sweetheart for a disfigured miniature Austrian circus freak.

Yeah cause we all know you need sooo much power to punch holes in paper. Come on guys. He likes shooting 9mm. That's what does it for him, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you feel like you have to shoot a big .45 to be 'cool', you're compensating for something.

Texas Rifleman

To each his own. I like Glocks but sold mine because their grips are far from ergonomic for me. They're like holding a 4X4. The Sigma and especially the M&P have exellent ergonomics. If Glock would actually evolve I would probably buy another one.

Boats

Yeah cause we all know you need sooo much power to punch holes in paper. Come on guys. He likes shooting 9mm. That's what does it for him, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you feel like you have to shoot a big .45 to be 'cool', you're compensating for something.

I'll grant you that Glocks are only good for patterning paper like a shotgun blast, but the guys shooting .45ACP are compensating for something alright. . . .

They're compensating for the 9mm being a marginal at best handgun caliber.:D Hell, even the DoD wants to compensate after using 9mm ball for a generation.

gglass

That is not a trade that I would have made in a million years.

As a previous owner of two Glocks and a current owner of five M&P's, I could never go back to the blocky ergos of a Glock.

The only improvement that could be made to the M&P platform is the trigger. Apex Tactical recently introduced the $29 hard sear, which makes the M&P trigger the closest thing to the feel of a 1911 that you will find in a polymer. I have upgraded all of my M&P's with the Apex sear, even my two M&P Pro's, and they are all now what I would describe as "Perfection".

Maybe you should have waited to trade off your fine M&P. The Apex sear would have amazed you.

jknight8907

Well, you are "Exhibit A" as they say. . . .

No. I own a 9mm Glock. I shoot it very well. Thus my input is not hearsay or 'what's cool down at the gun shop today'. It's comfortable and works very well for me, and obviously does for him as well. Why is that so out of reach for your mind do comprehend? Just because YOU prefer (or have heard something that makes you think you prefer) one gun or caliber over another does not mean your opinion is the end-all rule. Guns are not a one-size-fits-all item, and you prove that point by saying you don't like Glocks. Hey, that's fine, an M&P doesn't work for him. Your reasons are bull**** (there are a number of competition shooters that do great with Glocks. Hardly 'shotgun patterning' there), but I guess we can't help that.

Sturmgewehre

I love how people rip on the Glocks for being ugly when the M&P is as ugly, if not more so.

The M&P looks like a toy or a prop off a Batman movie set. It's goofy looking and in 15 years will look as dated and uncool as a 10 year old Japanese sports car. It's just plain goofy looking.

So let's not talk about how pretty one pig is when compared to another pig. They're both ugly, but unlike the M&P the Glock is simple and utilitarian looking. It's a timeless design because it's so plain.

But then why buy a guy based upon looks? That's a silly thing to do. Buy it because it works for you.

I happen to like the ergonomics of the G17. Next to the 1911 (which is the ergo king), it's the most ergonomic handgun I've ever owned. I can shoot circles around other pistols with it simply because it works for me. I know they are dead nuts reliable, simple and parts & accessories abound. It's a fine choice and the OP made a sound decision.