Traded for a Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt / 45 Auto

drobs

Was up in the next county north of me grocery shopping a couple months ago and stopped at a garage sale. They had a table full of guns. A couple AR15's, a couple single shot shotguns, a couple 22LR's and a few handguns.

The guns that stuck out to me were an original Colt Lightning Pump Rifle in 38 Colt for $1000. A Winchester 1897 12 gauge pump for $300 and a milled Norinco Mak90 AK for $350.

I grabbed the Mak90 and Winchester 1897 - $600 for both. Been using the 1897 for Cowboy Action Shooting. The Mak90 was such a deal, I couldn't pass it up. However, I already have 6 other AKM's to choose from.

48066914916_ed5f24c817.jpg

48066897791_0acd83758b.jpg

Found the Redhawk on Armslist. The price posted was $800 - trade up or down. Messaged the seller pics of the Norinco and he instantly responded with interest. I stated I would even trade my rifle for his pistol. I also sent him a link to the most recent sold auctions on gunbroker for similar milled Mak90's. At the time one had sold for $720 and one had sold for $1400.

Most recent sold Mak90:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/824201085

We met at Bass Pro and traded. Seller was an older fella.

19 years ago, I put a 45 Colt Ruger Redhawk on layaway for about a day. Changed my mind and bought something else. When these 45 Colt / 45 Auto Redhawks came out I wanted one. Just didn't want to spend what Ruger was asking for them. Well I think a "$300" Redhawk is pretty good deal.

48682033538_e4ba9a8447_b.jpg

Howdy

I can see from your photo the 1897 Winchester is a take down model. I can also see it has a nice long barrel.

I bought this one when I first started CAS close to 20 years ago. It was made in 1908 if I recall correctly. 30" full choke barrel.

I soon decided I liked shooting a SXS better in CAS, but I still have the '97. It makes a pretty good trap gun.

model%201897_zpsixqd0ezb.jpg

P.S. It's your gun, but please don't cut down the barrel. The number of these with full length barrels are getting fewer and fewer because so many CAS shooters want them cut down. $300 is a great price for a nice old '97. I think I paid around $800 for mine.

fourbore

I did not know you could get a redhawk in 45lc/acp. I looked on line and they still offer that combo. I have the Blackhawk version and really appreciate the low cost 45acp shooting. I will miss the walmart ammo :mad:

The 45 combo does not appear to suffer from the 9mm/357 accuracy problems. I say appear because I have been scared off the 9mm. And only have the one 45 combo. Mine shoots great.

drobs

DJ,

I picked up a Stoeger Coach Gun since then. However, the Stoeger is rough as corn cob. Did some polishing and now I can open the action w/o needing to break if over my knee. Still need to polish the chambers and cut the auto on safety pin.

I've had a couple guys at CA shoots recommend me cut the 1897 barrel. I'm leaving it as is for now.

mellow_c

You’ve done well!

Glad to hear you still have the 1897. Those are neat shotguns. I might have had a bit of a hard time trading that Mak90 for the red hawk, it just had a nice look to it, and if it is really worth what people were buying them for on gun broker, that would have made it even harder for me.
But I still think you made a good trade! And to know that it only cost you $300 for the red hawk, well. . . That’s got to be a real good feeling!!!!

Congrats!