Trade Opinions

Richard Simmons

Me: Ruger New Model Super Single Six (blued) in original yellow box with extra 22Mag cylinder, 6.5" bbl. Been ages since I shot it, EX-LNIB condition with two boxes of MaxiMags.

Coworker: Excellent condition Ruger 22/45, 5.5"bbl with one factory mag, no box or accessories. This is the stainless steel top on a polymer lower.

He's wanting something that will work with .22 shorts and I simply think I'll shoot the semiauto .22 more than I do the single action. Right now I'm thinking that I've got the better of the two to trade and especially with the ammo he might need to throw in a few bucks. Opinions please. TIA

Just to clarify this trade is only being considered at the moment.

Last edited:

tanstaafl4y

Whenever someone says "Did I get a good Deal?" I always want to ask them do you feel like you got a good deal. Cuz if you feel it you di.

Ok Straight cost based on MSRP for a new gun: Single-Six $411, 22/45 $380. Unfortunately the world isn't cut and dry like that. If your trading so you'll have something you will enjoy shooting than a small price gap dosent matter as much as if you trading up for "collector value".

My advice if it feels like a good/fair deal than it is.

denfoote

Are ya gunna be happy with what ya get???
That's the question you have to ask yourself!!

I have the P512 (that's the model number for what he has) and it's a excellent gun!!! He should have two mags. That is the number the gun was shipped with. I'd, at least, ask if he would spring for a spare mag or include cash so you could buy one yourself!!

Ichiro

I think your gun is worth more money. Make the trading partner at least buy you an extra magazine to seal the deal. Maybe two.

I just bought the cheapie 22/45 (short barrel, blued finish) and it'll do the job, but it only cost me $179 brand new. Plus, it's a pain to breakdown and reassemble. I had to buy a rubber mallet to accomplish this feat, and I'll be bound to the owner's manual for this task for at least the next 5-10 attempts.

~Ichiro

Jeffro250

Personally, i wouldnt trade....but if thats what you really want, go for it, but id expect a little bit extra on his part as you can get 22/45s for DIRT cheap...single six's are a little harder to come by and usually command a hefty pricetag.

Now if it was a MKII with the bullbarrel...id consider. I just dont like the polymer frame...

BusGunner007

NO WAY.

KEEP the Single-Six and go buy some more .22 Mag. to remind yourself of WHY it's worth keeping.

OR

Trade it at a gunshop for a Govt. Model MkII if you MUST have a .22LR autoloading pistol. Straight across - no money.

YOU have the upper hand in this deal.

LAH

Richard if you want a 22/45, go for it. They are great handguns and will shoot a long time. My youngest girl has one and I love it.

I have a Single Six with both cylinders. The Mags. shoot fine but not LR ammo. None would shoot less than 2 inch groups at 25 yards and most were over 2 1/2. The only things that cured mine was to rebarrel with a piece of 10/22 barrel. Now it's a 1/2-3/4 inch sixgun.

Is your sixgun worth more? I think so to $50.00. I don't know how you feel but when I got "into" firearms, I didn't do it for money, but for pleasure. My pleasure comes from shooting what I have, not from looking at it. That's why I have so few compared to others.

VonFatman

Congrats Richard.
You are gonna enjoy that gun!
My wife has three Ruger .22's and I have one...we enjoy them all.

I also shoot .22 magnum...it's not a cheap date, but it's a fun load too.

Bob