Trade my HK USP 9mm or do a trigger job? opinions please.

pilpens

I have a used HK USP 9mm full size, stainless slide, 3 high cap. It was a used pistol when I got it but it is in excellent condition.

I like the pistol because:
1. Trigger reach for me is very good.
2. Accurate - shoots great when resting my arms on the bench.
3. Safety/Decocker - can have safety on when hammer is decocked.
4. DA first shot.

I do not like the trigger (rough DA and creepy SA). I can easily live with the rough heavy DA but the SA creep irritates me because I think that it is causing me to throw my shots lower than POA.

3 things I am thinking of doing:
1. Get a trigger job ($100 - $250 depending who does the job). Any liability issues with guns that are not factory in case it is involved in a shooting (SD or accidental)?
2. Get a drop in match trigger kit ($125). Is it worth the cost? How much improvement can be expected? Will the creep be greatly reduced?
3. Trade it off for a another 9mm (HK P30 because if feels good in the hand, HK P2000 because I like the shorter slide release better then the P30, CZ 82 surplus because it is small but still allows 3 fingers on the grip).

I have other 9mm pistols (1911, Walther P99, Sig P6).

Last edited:

PSP

A simple solution is to have HK install a Match trigger set in your pistol. It will cost a bit, but it is a great trigger. I think it runs around $125. Depending on where you live, a competent gunsmith, HK trained can easily do it. The USP is worth keeping.

The SA take up is short, about 1/4", then a very smooth and VERY short break, with a reset of about 1/4" travel. Well worth the money IMHO. DA is still long, but much lighter and smoother.