Trade my Glock 30 for a 23!!

leedesert

I would like some thoughts on my proposed trade. http://glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Forum23/HTML/000948.html
My reasons are...
*23 has slide rails
*Can get a 22 conversion so my son can shoot
*same relative size with lower weight
*lower priced ammo

My local dealer wants to give me a new 23 for it if I add $100. Is that a fair offer?

Please don't turn this into a 40 vs. 45 war. I would like to hear from those experienced with the 23 as to the merits of my trade.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16
NRA lifer
GOA
GSSF
KABA

Tecolote

If it's something you want to do then by all means do it. A used G30 and $100 for a new G23 isn't bad. Consider that a used firearm loses its value fast and you'll only have to pay tax on $100 as opposed to the full purchase price. Make sure you get the latest version of the G23, the one with the new finish, almost like Teflon and not the old style matte black applied over the Tenifer. The new finish holds up much better, it's yet to show any signs of holster wear despite use in a snug fitting custom holster.

I like the G23 a lot. It's a compact package that balances well, is very comfortable to handle (even the heavier 180grs aren't all that bad), reliable to a fault, and you can go either 9mm with a custom conversion barrel or 357SIG with a factory barrel.

------------------
"Get yourself a Pistolet Makarova and lose that pricey western gadget."

leedesert

Is there a year when the new finish started?

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16
NRA lifer
GOA
GSSF
KABA

CORB52

I own both the 23 and 30. Both excellent guns. I like the 30 more. the 30 is a special gun. The 30 is more accurate and has little recoil for a 45. Go to Glocktalk.com and go to the Big Dawgs club and post your question there. They call the 30 the Big Dawg. The 23 is much better for concealed carry, You really cant carry the 30 due to weight and size(im only 5 8) If you want the accessories then the 23 is the way to go. You cant add a light to the 30. I kept the 30 and bought the 23. I would suggest doing the same.

Tom B

I have owned 3 G23s and 1 G30. The G30 was more accurate and softer recoil. Its value is higher than a G23. If you must do it I suggest you sell the G30 and buy a G23 for cash.

jdthaddeus

You want our opinons? Well, mine is, never to sell your Glock 30. It is one awesome gun. You get full capacity mags that are cheap. It is more accurate than the G23, according to most everyone that shoots them. It is softer recoiling because of the spring setup and the wide handle that displaces the recoil. You get a more powerful gun, that is more accurate and softer recoiling. As an added bonus, the G30 seems to be able to handle reloads better and such, than the .40 caliber Glock.
I do not like the G23, but I LOVE the G30. My opinion is that you should stick with what you have and buy something new if you want something new. But, that is just my opinion.

That said....new G23's go for about $449 plus tax where I live. So, if you want to sell your Glock 30 and use the cash toward a G23, I will buy your G30 for $400 and you can be very close to having enough for a G23. I am in the Southwest US if you are interested. I also have a new G32 that I might be interested in trading. If you buy an aftermarket .40 barrel for the G32 you get everything you wanted in the gun and more. The aftermarket barrel will be fully supported so you can safely shoot reloads, and it will be more accurate so you get the best of all worlds, plus the ability to shoot multiple calibers.

You can contact me at thaddeus@primenet.com if you are interested. I would be interested if it is a good deal, and hopefully we don't have to deal with mailing the guns (that just adds more cost). If we can't work something out, I also have another friend who may be interested.

[This message has been edited by jdthaddeus (edited October 21, 2000).]