Trade in ??

Voyager AL

My S&W 559 locked and jambed last week at the range. Of course, I tried to be a gunsmith , and broke the slide release pin. Took it to my local shop, to have him send it in, as he does as a courtesy to his customers. While he was looking at it, I mentioned that i would like to trade it in. Never said on what. he carrys alot , he has KT 9mm, a HP 9, Beretta, and can get in overnite anything. He said he didnt want my gun, cause the resale is poor. He showed me a mag with traded in reman'd Glocks, bringing big bucks, and Springfields,too. Then he showed me how little a S&W brings! I love the gun, and bought it right($150). I figured I could get 2 hundred for it, on a trade. Is S&W a POS?? I have 2 Smith revolvers,and this 559 has been a good gun, although too big and heavy to CCW. I was looking at all my options, KelTec, Hi-Point, and the M&P compacts. I have great respect for the KT and HP line. Should I give up looking to trade it in? I really wanted a smaller, concealable 9.. What do yall think??
It has been sent back to Smith for a rebuild.

Last edited:

JWT

If the S&W has been sent back to Smith they'll likely fix it 'for free' and then you'll again have an operable gun that you apparently have enjoyed shooting. I'd keep it, since you're not being offered much in trade and don't have a lot invested in it, and buy a compact that you want.

On another note, you might want to take a look at the CZ compacts - reasonable prices and very solid guns.

Good luck...

Majic

You only paid $150, but expect a dealer to give you $200 for it? Sorry but it don't work that way. The 559 is not a bad pistol but to be honest the 3rd generation pistols were better and more popular thus knocking down the value of the 2nd generation pistols.

Voyager AL

I bought, or I feel STOLE it. From a brother of the deceased who owned it. yea, i expect to get more from it than I paid. So would you.
Money is tight, so i cant buy a new gun without selling this one.

bullfrog99

If you don't have confidence in it anymore, trade it in. You will never feel good about defending yourself with a gun that has betrayed you...

Whirlwind06

If you must sell it to get something different. (Been there myself)
You will most likely have better luck selling it to a private party.
Post it in the for sale section on this board.
Of the pistols you have listed. I would say the S&W M&P compact is the best value.

Dj Dust

first off avoid Kel-Tec and Hi-Point. Remember you get what you pay for or less then you pay for. From personal experience they are both crap. Kahr makes a really good small 9mm or a Glock 26. just make sure the gun you buy is reliable. Smith is still a great company but not ALL there guns are great

JR47

According to the Blue Book, your 559 was a very limited production weapon, with approximately 1700 made, ending in 1983. In 90% it lists at $275. In 80% it's $250. 70% is $225.

Your idea of getting $200, after repairs, is certainly not out of the norm. S&W second, and even third, generation semi-autos do not appear to hold their value on the market as well as they should.

darko

The Smith & Wesson SA's don't do very well in resale for some reason. At least that has been my experience. I had (wish I still had it) a 4566 that I purchased new and decided to take to the gun show some years later for trade or sale in favor of some new gun that I just had to have. Anyway, the blue book of gun values showed the value on that weapon to be very high but I ended up only getting like $300 or so for it. More than one dealer at the show told me that the Smith SA's just aren't movers for them and usually collect dust.