Trade a S&W 66 for a S&W 29?

I've got a mint Model 66 2.5" with original box. A friend is interested in trading his S&W Model 29-2, with 4" barrel, in excellent condition plus $100 for it. I know the N-frames are a good value, but then again so are the 66's. I'd probably shoot the Model 66 more often than the Model 29, but then again, I do have other .357's and no 44's. What do you think?

bobn

i started with 19s twenty five years ago, moved to 27s then the 44s, the 454... now i am full circle back to 19/66s.....save at least one kframe....bobn

Majic

Take the trade quick. Now if your M66 was a 3 incher then I would think about it, but the 2 1/2 inchers are rather common. The extra $100 is like taking candy from a baby.

absolute0

If the guy is indeed a friend tell him to keep his money. If the guns are in similar condition you're coming out ahead on a heads up swap.

Friends are much more valuable than money :)

skeeter1

I'd jump on the deal. I had a M66 2.5 incher that I sold to a friend for cheap, and it was a good gun (he likes it), but it was no M29. My brother has a 6" M29 in the walnut presentation case, and I drool every time I see it.

Sport45

Yeah, you're coming out ahead unless the $100 is to offset the extra cost for feeding the 29.... (I wouldn't take the money from a friend either)

Trade?

Thanks for all your input. Actually it's a friend of a friend, but I agree, I'll forget the $100. but I won't tell him that yet, until I actually see the gun, and the condition, this weekend. I guess I underestimated the value of an N-frame, or is it the 44 mag caliber? I know the S&W 66 2.5" is popular, I just didn't know that the M29 was that much more popular. Thanks again

PDR_1671.jpg

radom

Even without the 100 bucks you may need to toss in a can of grease too for the poor guy. Here I would figure the 66 and a good 200 bucks for the 29 easy.

Silvanus

I love the 19 and 66. I would keep it. But if you have another K-frame, but no .44 yet...

It's up to you anyway:)

lawboy

It is a fair trade. BUT, personally, I would keep the 66. K frames are history. N frames are still made, AND, it is easier to find an N frame 29 than a snub 66, at least in my neck of the woods. The demand for carry guns has made the K frame magnums VERY sought after. Fewer people can use or handle a 4-inch 44 Magnum and so these guns come up for sale more often, at least in my neck of the woods. Think long and hard about which gun you have more of a use for before making a decision. In my opinion, making the trade for a perceived increase in value of the N over the K is a poor idea. The value is subjective and largely unrealizable, and not at all firm. The true value of any firearm is either sentimental or use based. Go with the one you will use.