Tracer Rounds

jefnvk

I heard tracer rounds wear barrels out quite fast? Is this true? Will limited use (probably never more than a box) cause any serious problems?

Sir William

Tracers are good in only one way. Load the second round into a magazine as a tracer. When the tracer goes, you know two things immediately. You have one round in the chamber and your magazine is empty. Harmful? I am not aware of them being so.

Right, they have no real use other than as fun. That is why the military uses them :rolleyes:

Sir William's idea of loading the second round into the magazine as a tracer isn't a bad idea, only since tracers don't work 100% of the time, it isn't a great idea. Folks who use this technique often use multiple tracers and don't place them at the end of the magazine. Loading the next to the last round as a tracer quite likely will let you know you are at the end of the magazine only about a quarter second quicker than when you bolt locks back. If you use tracers to let yourself know you are getting near the end, you don't place them at the very end of the magazine and then not just one.

Will tracers wear out your barrel faster? I doubt it, and least not in a significant manner that a normal shooter would recognize, but they will dirty your barrel faster while shooting. I try to be sure to use several regular rounds after the last of the tracer rounds so as to help clean out some of the tracer residue.

jefnvk

Ok, thanks. I meant to me, there is no real use other than fun. I realize that when you let a machine gun go, it is adventageous to know where the bullets are flying. Or as mentioned, to let you know when you are getting low on ammo.

Anyway, someone told me that the chemicals in the tip of the tracer kill barrels. I was just thinking of getting some to play with in my SKS. Seems like it would be fun for dusk/night shooting.

support_six

mete, how would one know? Actually the chemicals in a tracer are activated by friction and the presence of oxygen so I'm sure there is some glow in the barrel but more out of the barrel in the air.

Standard MG ammo loading for tracers is 1 in 5 (tracer, four ball, tracer, etc.). They are used for aiming your "cone of fire". Now get this, the "training" load for the 25mm chain gun on the M2 Bradley is 100% tracer! ...and that "will" erode you barrel faster! Also tends to set the training range on fire in the Fall!

Once while observing M1 tanks on the training range, an Abrams took a shot with the tungsten penetrator used for training (depleted uranium used in combat). The penetrator (normally quite invisible since they travel at over 3000 ft/sec) hit a berm made of dirt and rock, ricocheted almost straight up, glowing like a red hot poker! Happened at dusk so you could see it quite well.

Bruce

jefnvk

OK, so they do wear the barrel out more than ball ammo, but not enough that small quantities are really going to hurt anything.