Toy Guns for children. Good or bad idea?

Glamdring

I mean like plastic, cap guns, squirt guns, etc.

A BB gun would be a real gun.

I don't think Toy guns are a good idea because it encourages bad gun handling (ie pointing guns at people you don't intend to shoot).

I think it is wiser to take kids shooting at very young age with BB gun and rimfires. Teach them gun safety, cleaning, and basics of shooting, more if they are interested.

Am I alone in my thinking?

Hkmp5sd

Yes, they are fine...but BB guns are better. Anything that actualy shoots a projectile is useful, even waterguns. Yes, they will hose each other, but they do learn that something in front of the gun gets hit it you pull the trigger. But give them a BB gun at the earliest possible age. Got my first one during 1st grade and completely wore it out with several million BBs. They are not really all that dangerous, but dangerous enough the child can learn respect and safety without being subject to fatal accidents.

BamBam

My daughter just turned five. No toy guns for her or pointing a finger and going "Bang, Bang". If she ever comes across a real gun, I want her to understand it is dangerous. Not a toy.

I'm teaching her to respect guns so that she can shoot the real deal when she's ready. I already took her to the indoor range and let her watch from the observation window. I pointed out the shooter's eye and ear protection, etc.

We've been to the sporting goods store where they have dozens of stuffed/mounted animals. I told her they were real but had been killed by guns or arrows. "A gun killed that big bear; never point a gun at anyone, even for pertend".

When she shows interest, I'll get her a BB gun and properly train her.

Robert Foote

Bad. Kids are exposed to enough screwy thinking on that and other issues as it is. Teach them the proper way to regard guns from the beginning.

To carry the idea to its logical conclusion--maybe home schooling them makes the most sense. Compared with the teachers my kids had I was outstanding...

madmike

Only real guns in the house.

I stashed the pellet guns after I found one lying on my desk. My fault. It was "only" a pellet gun. I keep the "real" weapons secure from children's reach.

My just 5 year old (December 12) is getting a Chipmunk .22 in her Christmas stocking. She loves shooting, so it's time she had one her size. Especially since we can shoot for free at Camp Atterbury. Gotta love Indiana!

Kid's already spoiled anyway--she saw Santa arrive last week. In an F-16.:D

geegee

My next door neighbors provide care most days for their eight year old grandson, as their daughter is a (divorced single mom) flight attendant who will often be gone for days at a time. Even though they're pretty much pro-gun, one day the wife tells me "Oh no, we never allow Little Elrod to play with guns...they can really give a child the wrong ideas." :rolleyes:

Well, watching Little Elrod play with my son on numerous occasions has allowed me to see the following: He has swung a hockey stick at my son, nearly knocking him out. He has thrown said hockey stick like a spear at my son, while my son was riding his bike. He has stood at the top of their "tree fort" and shot a pogo stick as though it were machine gun (no kidding-I'm sure it was on "full auto" :p ). He's also used that hockey stick to swing around, near my son's cranium. And last but not least, I've seen him point what appeared to be a loaded finger at my son and others (maybe it was a semi-auto...hard to tell if the safety was on).

My son has seen my guns and handled them, with the following caveat: Any time you want to see them or pick one up, ask me and I'll show you how and we'll do it together. So far, we've done that two or three times, but that's all. He rarely plays with the toy guns he has.

What conclusions can be drawn from this? I don't think restricting a child's access to toy guns will diminish his desire to "play guns." I do think trying to affect his behavior will yield long term results, and that includes above all consequences of his behavior. Certainly restricting children from hockey sticks and pogo sticks may keep them safer (at least in our neighborhood), but that's rather convoluted logic, don't you think?

You can certainly keep toy guns away from a child, but if you think that will affect their behavior in any way as an adult, I think you're kidding yourself. geegee

buford1

Wow, Im glad Im full grown. When I was a child, all we did was play cowboy and indians and army man. We all had toy guns no harm done. When I was 13, I got my first 22 lever gun never hurt anybody. I knew the difference between a play gun and the real deal. My dad drilled me on gun safety rules before I got my rifle. Then cut me loose in the woods. Never had a problem. Must say at that age I deemed It necessary to cull the herd of sparrows. My kids grew up with all the neatest toy guns around. My youngest is now 18 . All 3 enjoy the shooting sports. And do it safetly. I introduced my children to firearms at a young age. Let them handle the guns any time they wanted to. I think that took the mystic out of the forbidden fruit

Litlman

Who buys all the toy guns at the toy store?

My two brothers and I grew up playing with toy guns/cap guns etc.. If we couldn't find a toy gun we would make one out of a stick or whatever looked like one. My dad had a closet full of guns for hunting. We were taught all the rules and never went near the real ones without him. Look at all the games that kids play, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians . I try to teach my boy the dif. between the real and the toy . I don't see how in todays society that he won't be exposed to toy guns. Before he even got a toy gun ( I think that it was a storm trooper blaster ) he was making them out of tinker toys . I never taught him how to do it , must have been the TV? Power Rangers, Bugs Bunny, Bat Man. Barney, Oh, just kidding about that last one. What do the pro's say? I have been thinking about getting Gun Proof Your Kid by Ayoob. Any thuoghts on it ? Anybody out there read it? Take it easy .

Litlman..................................

Redlg155

Kids will be kids. I played cops n robbers, army man, cowboys n indians and all that fun stuff when I was a kid. My own child does the same thing. They understand, as I did that there is a difference between play and reality. The Road Runner always did crazy things to Wiley Coyote. Elmer Fudd spent all his time chasing Buggs Bunny with a shotgun. I watched them..well, I still watch them and my children do also, and we enjoy it because we know it's not reality. All play in a make believe world.

I also knew the distinction between a play gun and real gun. I learned to respect guns and learned gun safety early in life. Never did playing with my toy guns ever factor into whether or not I learned gun safety correctly.

Even as an adult we still use "toy" guns and play cops n robbers or whatever. It's called Paintball. We run around the woods and shoot each other all day long with paint balls. This in no way affects safe gun handling because we all know it is play and not real.

Kids will be kids. Ok..so don't give them a toy gun. They will pick up a stick and use it just as well. I robbed many a bank with my pointer finger and thumb.

I think I grew up ok. I'll follow the pattern my parents gave to me.

Good Shooting
RED

Firewatch

You mean to imply a child won't no the difference between shooting someone on a playstation game, or a cap gun, or the difference between a toy car and a real car. Come on people. You need to show more respect of your kids. THEY ARE NOT STUPID. When I was a kid I had a toy M-16, uncountable cap guns, pop guns, and I sure knew the difference when i got a BB gun and then a .410 shutgun. Cowboys and indians, germans-americans, what happen to shows like "Combat"?

V-fib

Not a problem.

We played WWl WWll Civil war both sides and had a great time.
After playing paintball for the first time this last summer I wish we had that!
Play is a great learning tool for kids.

Nightcrawler

My parents didn't own any guns. I wasn't ever exposed to the real thing, but I had enough sense upon seeing a real weapon (at someone else's house, for instance) not to touch.

I was a very imaginative youth, I suppose. My friends and I spent I don't know how many hours running around the woods and other places pretending we were special forces. I had quite a collection of toy guns.

What did having toy guns teach me? WEll, not much about firearms. I didn't learn to shoot until I joined the Army at 17. All of our pretend guns weren't firearms anyway, they were lasers, blasters, and other high-tech stuff. Badguys? Usually robots.

Though, they did put an interesting concept in my head: the good guys have guns too.

At any rate, they didn't adversely affect me. And others are right; we didn't always have toys that looked like guns. A baseball bat held properly made an effective rifle. Toss it on top of the shoulder? Bam! Bazooka.

Yes, I got a Red Ryder BB gun. Shot a window out with it. Suppose that wouldn't have happened had I had more respect for it; it was a pretty anemic spring-loaded dealy, though. Wouldn't puncture the skin, but as they said in A Christmas Story, It'll put an eye out.

Let the kids play. Being a grown up blows. Let them be kids while they can. Just teach them gun safety and I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Hkmp5sd

If they want to play cops-n-robbers or army, they will find something else and pretend it is a gun if they don't have actual toy guns. By not allowing them, you make them even more mysterious and desireable.

I don't think kids playing with toy guns is any different than teenagers playing FPS's. They know what guns are toys and if you do your job as a parent, they know what a real gun is and can demonstrate the proper use of each.

swingset

Toy guns? That's the only toys I wanted, played with or coveted.

I'm glad as heck I'm not a kid in any of you guys houses (ones who thinks it's a bad idea). What has happened to this country!?!?!?!?

When I was 8, my older brother taught me how to shoot, respect for guns and proper handling. I didn't confuse plastic with metal, and knew the difference between play and real. Amazing I lived.:rolleyes:

I knew a kid that had a really sheltered home life - wasn't allowed to play much with other kids. One time he got out of his house (must have chewed through the embillical cord). He came to play with us. When we suggested guns he said his mom didn't allow him to shoot or even pretend to.

Now, imagine what we normal children thought of this. We probably scarred the poor sissy boy for life with our laughter.

Deny your kids a chance to be a kid, and it's you who'll have to deal with the goofy, lifeless adult you've raised. There, I said it.

BogBabe

Absolutely I'd get my kids toy guns. I grew up with 'em, the whole neighborhood did, and we definitely knew the difference between our puny little cap guns and dad's rifle and pistol. The lucky kids who had bb guns also knew the difference between those and toys that didn't actually shoot any projectiles.

If they don't have "real" (i.e., store bought) toy guns, kids'll use a stick as a rifle, and a smaller stick as a pistol. What, are we supposed to get rid of all the sticks in the neighborhood?

Heck, that one kid got suspended from school for pointing a chicken leg at another kid and going "bang bang." Are chicken legs verboten?

In my experience, it's the kids of the blissninny anti's who don't know the difference between a real gun and a toy.

The point about paintball was a good one, Redlg155. As adults, we play "toy guns" in much the same way kids do. We point them at each other and pull the trigger, and they do fire actual projectiles that hurt. Does anyone have trouble discerning the difference between their paintball gun and their real gun?

Nightcrawler

Hell, we point weapons at each other all the time in the Army, on training exercises. Somebody's gotta be the OPFOR, after all.

Toy guns, for me, were a small part of a big imagination I had when I was younger. My friends and I didn't just play cops and robbers and war; we had storylines, characters, the whole bit.

Of course, plot points I thought were stunningly dramatic when I was 11 seem pretty hammy now, but hey, we had fun. :D

geekay

WWII and the postwar years was the go for my childhood, and pointing a finger going "bang bang" was the norm. The lack of a father figure during those years was a definite handicap which was overcome to some extent when I joined the the local regiment as a cadet in '50. Got to play (?) with real guns then.
The kids that want toy guns will get them or suitable (to them) substitutes regadless so what is needed is intelligent adult guidance.

JPM70535

Ditto on having toy guns, every kid in my neighborhood had a collection of them. How else do you play Cowboys and Indians and G-men. (I wish I had some of them back today, they would be collectable items worth as much as real guns)

We all learned gun safety from our parents and received 22s at the appropriate ages. We slung our rifles across our shoulders and headed to the woods to wreak havoc on the local rat population.

We never even considered using our guns to shoot up a school or any other facility, and we never that I can remember pointed our real guns at each other despite having shot each other numerous times with our toy guns.

My question is why today is so different?

NeverAgain26

I had lots of toy guns and I enjoyed them when I was a kid. Before I owned real guns, I didn't care one way or another whether my kids had toy guns. Once I bought real guns, for some reason I didn't want toy guns around the house. Maybe I thought it would be too easy to make a mistake. Maybe I wanted my kids to realize that guns were not toys and they were to be treated with respect. I don't know.

I do know that as soon as the kids were old enough, I got them down to the range, had them taught safety and rifle shooting by N.R.A. instructors and now they do not want toy guns. They are still too young for their own guns (we live in the suburbs and they can only shoot at the range), but as soon as they are old enough....

I can only recommend that whatever, kids need to be taught that guns are not toys (and toys are not guns).

NA26