Towner carbine 500S&W? any info?

Husqvarna

Towner carbine 500S&W

Apart from a short youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKc_35xlSSk

and
http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/towner-manufacturing-takedown-carbine

cherry_posed_rifle.jpg

This is a slide-action carbine rifle offered in .500 S&W. Its design allows easy breakdown for cleaning, maintenance, and transportation. With an 18 inch barrel, the longest dissasembled dimension is 19 inches allowing easy transport.

It is equipped with a XS ghost ring small (.191in) aperture sight and a large bright white front dot. This setup is great for rapid target acquisition on multiple or moving targets. Using factory loaded ammunition from 275 to 500 grains it is effective to distances up to 150 yards. Fast handling and large heavy bullets make this an excellent brush gun.

Several options are offered by the manufacturer including engraving, custom stocks, and stainless steel.

there doesn't seem to be much out there besides random forum posts about people who wants it NOW

I am thinking great shortrange pig gun, even tackle a moose up close if I am hunting with a dog

and fun to shoot!

Anyone got their hands on one?

a pump action carbine in a hefty calibre is such a good idea, why haven't anyone else done it? I know there are those cowboy action replicas but they have too weak of a calibre

to hunt pigs and upwards in Sweden I need certain prestanda, 44 magnum is just shy so I need alittle more

sure I could go slugs in a pump action but this is smaller and handier

pumps are the fastest of the repeters don't you think?

PetahW

Their website/domain has expired & is F/S - not a good sign.

http://townermfg.com

"The domain townermfg.com is for sale! To purchase, call at +1 339-222-5147 or 866-836-6791 or click here to BUY NOW! "

Kleab

is slide action just a fancy name for pump or is there a technical difference?

Just the depends on where you live. Slide action is a term used more on the other side of the pond.

Cheapshooter

a new company start up that failed to launch. That's too bad.

$1600 That might have a little to do with their demise!:eek:
Let's see, for a pump gun you pay the same price as 5 NEF Handi Rifles in 500 S&W.
Or for one third the price you get a Marlin lever gun in 450 Marlin that is ballistically very similar.
I don't think the project was well thought out.

PetahW

That's fine - IF someone wants a single-shot rifle.

But for a few hundred more, an "in-production"/real .500S&W repeater can be had from Big Horn Armory.

2bd94d304e6748a2bf5367f550af25351.JPG

MarkCO

Scott Towner was hired by Predator Tactical several years ago. PT now owns the rights to this AFAIK. The guy in the Black jacket dropping rounds in the open port is Matt Burkett of PT.

I shot one of the first units, it is a pretty nice piece, but yes, the cost was high. There were several companies that had an interest in ordering them, but never enough cash to put them into actual production. I would bet if you want one, they will build one for you as custom guns is a large part of the PT business.

MarkCO

Did not say I owned one. :eek:

The .444 Marlin. 450 Bushmaster, and soon, the .450 Corvette have me covered in that area.