Tough Aluminum Finishes

Casimer

Any ideas on a tough finish/coating for aluminum? I've got an old Model 38 w/ the black anodized finish.

Scorch

GunKote will work and is pretty tough, but hard anodizing would be better. Just remember that in order to anodize the aluminum frame, you have to remove ALL steel parts from the firearm, which is not feasible.

Mac's!

I've been using Gunkote for about thirty years and have found that there are a few metals that it doesn't "like". On the softer grades of Aluminum (hardware store stuff), it comes loose fairly quickly if the item is subjected to any type of use. I've used it on soft Aluminum decorative trim strips that are not handled and it lasts fine. I've used it on a soft Aluminum Kubitan key chain and it lasts about a week. It wont bond at all with brass or copper and quickly flakes off.

It works very well on all steels, Titanium and firearms type Aluminum.....meaning it bonds well to the harder grades of Aluminum. I have used it on a few hundred Aluminum handgun frames and it lasts forever. You won't have any problems using it on your Aluminum framed handgun as long as the surface prep is done properly. That's 90% of the finish job. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com