Touching up a flat black finish

Lunker

I have a Remington 700P LTR. It has a matte black finish. I just took off the EGW Mounting rail I had attached to the receiver. I think the excess loctite or friction has made the surface of the reciever bluish-white in a small spot near the mounting screwhole. Does anyone have any suggestions as how to get the finish back to how it should look? Thanks.

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I am a fan of the "Sharpie Gun Finish Repair Application System" They are available in many sizes now to facilitate repairs on all sizes of blemishes in blued, gloss black and flat black finishes...:D
Brent

Slopemeno

Black Sharpie for sure. I had a customer come in the shop asking if I could refinish his scratched cheapo 3 x 9. I disappeared in the back for two minutes and touched up all the scratches with a Sharpie and handed it back. He was grinning ear to ear.

10-96

Anybody know if you can get those little glass bottles of M-New or Em-New? I'm guessing most non-Vets would not have seen the stuff, but we used to get it from Clothing Sales, PX's, and some Shoppettes. It was a flat black paint-on stuff we used when our subdued collar brass started getting shiney- lasted lots longer than the sharpies.

TRguy

I use to do the Sharpie but that leaves a semi glossy look, These Birchwood Casey touch up pens are hard to see and are A LOT more durable. Bass Pro keeps them in stock in the store.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

15101_lrg.jpg

15102 -BPPF SUPER BLACK Touch-Up Pen (Flat) - 1/3 fl oz $7.50