Total Noob Cleaning Question

LDSGJA

I've got a browning Buckmark .22 and a Jennings J-22. They are both semi-auto.

I am wondering how often they should be field stripped and throughly cleaned. And if I go to the range and shoot a few hundred rounds do I need to field strip it again or is there a less extensive cleaning regimen?

BTW I did a search and didn't find the info I was looking for. BTW, I know the Jennings is a jamming piece of junk but I still like it.

mellow_c

I didnt fully take down my buckmark till after 2000 rounds. I'd clean the barrel, clean the bolt face and the area in between with Q tips after every range session.

I think the best way to go is touch it up like that every time you shoot it. And then maybe every 1000 rounds do a full take down. Mine was pretty dirty after 2000, but it still shot fine. I just like to keep my guns cleaner than that though. But it's not necessary to do a full take down after every trip to the range.

This all applies to the buckmark of course. I have no experience with the Jennings.

BILLDAVE

It is personal taste. I know guys will say field strip it every time, period. I think if you shoot cheap ammo, shoot over fifty rounds, or in cold/wet weather(condensation issue) then field strip it. Otherwise, run the barrel, hit inside the reciver with Q-tips, and wipe it down real good. Just my opinion. Your Buckmark is a nice gun and deserves good care. Good luck.
BILLDAVE

Death from Afar

Overcleaning can be as bad as undercleaning. I recall examining Steyr AUG's that recruits had been issued and they had been cleaned so much they were almost all unservicable.

If a firearms gets wet, or you shoot corrosive ammo, it should be cleaned after ever shot. I clean the barrels of my centrefire rifles after every use, but dont clean the mechanism of my rimfires until about 1,000 rds, and centrefires about every 500 rds.

With your pistols, I'd clean every 1,000 rds or so, but clean the barrel after every shooting trip.

Try having a *tiny* amount of oil on you fingers when you load the magazine of your Jennings- could help with the jamming. Or try a different type of projectile.

triplebike

When I 1st got my BuckMark I was cleaning it after every range trip (2-3 hundred rds) NOT NECESSARY! Now I clean it (as mentioned above) every 2-3 thousand rds & thats with federal bulk ammo. You may also want to get one of these little gizmo's (will eliminate bending the metal guide rod & makes for a handy range tool) Make sure you checkout the youtube video.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306229

Also check out Chim's Buckmark page, excellent info there as well

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#/welcome/4529564701

PS - Be very, very careful if you remove the grip (it's not necessary to go that far for cleaning, I recommend only remove the grips if you have to replace a spring or part)

PSS - Also be very careful not to over tighten the rear sight base screw, if you do you will crack it. (Browning will replace it at no charge if you though, it's a common problem)

Last edited:

govmule84

I'm going to disagree with a number of things that were just posted.

I recall examining Steyr AUG's that recruits had been issued and they had been cleaned so much they were almost all unservicable.
Anything that's overdone is bad, but cleaning to the point of unserviceability? I'd love to see the source for this. Most of your guns will out live you and your grandchildren.

If a firearms gets wet, or you shoot corrosive ammo, it should be cleaned after ever shot.

Hogwash. If firearms couldn't get wet, we couldn't hunt with them. Dry 'em, clean 'em, and oil 'em. Corrosive ammo should be cleaned as soon as is practical (same day). After every shot? I don't think so.

Try having a *tiny* amount of oil on you fingers when you load the magazine of your Jennings

Oil can kill priming compounds. Not a huge worry, but a realistic one. It is not necessary to oil rounds - it can cause overpressure, which is dangerous and hard on the gun. If oil is needed on the ammunition to make a gun 'run', something is mechanically wrong with the gun.

Death from Afar

Allow me to respond Sir:

I handled those Steyr AUGs with an armourer. He US'ed a number of them, The primary problem was excess wear on the face of the gas piston due to carbon being scoured off, and wear on the barrel lug when the barrels had been removed dozens of time. If I got one of your rifles and took it to pieces thousands of times, and scoured the gas piston with steel wool, it would become US eventually too. You must be aware that overzealous and incorrect use of a cleaning rod can damage any firearm- if not, why do we need bore guides?

Secondly, you miss read me, and I wasnt clear- here we talk about "going out for a shot"- that is, firing shots, mea culpa, I meant after every shooting period.

Thirdly, I am not talking about lathering the case in oil, i said a tiny amount on your fingers. There is NO possibility of a light sheen causing overpressure. The Breda machine gun indeed oiled ever case before firing. Modern rimfire ammo is water resistant and if oil could ruin priming, then getting them wet would too.

govmule84

Hehe.

I handled those Steyr AUGs with an armourer. He US'ed a number of them, The primary problem was excess wear on the face of the gas piston due to carbon being scoured off, and wear on the barrel lug when the barrels had been removed dozens of time. If I got one of your rifles and took it to pieces thousands of times, and scoured the gas piston with steel wool, it would become US eventually too. You must be aware that overzealous and incorrect use of a cleaning rod can damage any firearm- if not, why do we need bore guides?
I don't know the first thing about gas pistons. That's a little above my pay grade. As to the taking apart of my rifles (this fella's talking about his little .22 handguns, but I digress) thousands of times, you're welcome to it. I've done it more than once or twice myself, and they seem to be holding up just fine. I am aware that improper use of a cleaning rod can funnel a bore and destroy a crown. However, that does not fall under the category of 'normal wear and tear'. We're comparing a gas-driven fighting weapon to a pair of civilian plinkers here, bud. Incidentally, cleaning from the breech sort of negates the need for a bore guide, anywho. The poor guy will never clean those pistols enough to funnel a bore or scrub a part into oblivion.

Secondly, you miss read me, and I wasnt clear- here we talk about "going out for a shot"- that is, firing shots, mea culpa, I meant after every shooting period.

Forgive my stupidity... I think this is a nomenclature issue. I didn't see your location when I posted. I presume that is a term for 'plinking' that I've not heard in my present locale. While I do clean after every time I personally go shooting, I know plenty of folks who don't, with few ill effects. I know that especially with .22s in the US, cleaning every time is often frowned upon. As his weapons are not ones most would consider fighting weapons, the worst he's likely to encounter are some jams. He's not going to have a meth-crazed biker about to kill his family because his camping pistol jammed. He is shooting .22. I am sure there is some corrisively-primed garbage somewhere in the US (and someone will post a link to it!), but most .22 these days is pretty tame stuff. Not going to eat his bore, I would be willing to bet.

Thirdly, I am not talking about lathering the case in oil, i said a tiny amount on your fingers. There is NO possibility of a light sheen causing overpressure. The Breda machine gun indeed oiled ever case before firing. Modern rimfire ammo is water resistant and if oil could ruin priming, then getting them wet would too.

First, there is no reason to recommend this to a shooter unfamiliar with the innards of his pistol. Second, I can think of no current manufacturer of ordinary civilian pistols who actually recommends this practice. I can name a few who recommend against it, however. The jamming he is experiencing, especially considering the pedigree of the pistol, is highly unlikely to be caused or cured by a lubrication issue. Incidentally, I know most .22s are already covered with a waxy lubricant. I'd bet oil just dissolves it and fills his guns with goop.

I think all of your points are defensible, just not in this situation. If this guy posted this from a foxhole somewhere, I'd shut my piehole and move on. But he didn't... the guy needs basic advice. I stand by my earlier statement. Get the thing clean every time out shooting or every other, and you'll prolly be ok.

LDSGJA

Thanks for the info guys.

The type of Jam the jennings makes is where the fired brass doesn't eject in time for the next round to load in. Jennings recommended that you use CCI stinger rounds in the J-22. But I haven't had a chance to try them yet. My understanding is that the pressure from the fired round throws the slide back, so maybe the jams have to do with crappier ammo not throwing the slide back fast/hard enough.

What I explained might be wrong or make no sense but that's what I think.

Thanks for the info. The buckmark is great though, and I did also get a Ruger Security Six .357 but I know how to care for that.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Anything that's overdone is bad, but cleaning to the point of unserviceability? I'd love to see the source for this. Most of your guns will out live you and your grandchildren.
I bought an Indian Enfield .308 some years back. The bore was in perfect condition--looked like it had hardly been shot. Unfortunately the first 2 inches or so at the muzzle had so much cleaning rod wear that the rifling was non-existent.

In addition, so much oil had been used on the rifle over the years that it had soaked into the stock and turned it into a soft wooden sponge. You could literally pull it apart with your fingers in the worst areas.

It's an extreme case, admittedly, but the fact remains that it's definitely possible to ruin a gun with over-enthusiastic cleaning and "maintenance", especially in the absence of proper guidance.

In my experience and from what I can tell from my informal research, the steel in rimfires is often softer than the steel used in centerfires. When you combine that with the smaller, more delicate rifling in a rimfire, it means that it doesn't take a lot to damage it enough to hurt the accuracy--especially if the damage occurs at the crown. Sometime back I began cleaning my rimfire bores much less frequently and completely stopped using bore brushes with rimfires. I clean my rimfire bores using only patches and solvents.

To answer the original question, I clean my rimfire bores when I start to notice accuracy dropping off which really takes a very long time if fairly decent quality ammunition is being used. I clean the actions more frequently but usually just a quick once-over to get rid of buildup that might cause function issues. I definitely don't clean them after every range trip.

Centerfires get much different treatment, they get cleaned a lot more often--typically after every range trip--and a lot more assiduously.

CLC

I dont know much about anything, but isnt some of that .22 ammo kinda bad? I saw someone shooting brick ammo and the bore was filthy!? to the point you couldnt see the rifling. I saw the same when cleaning and pulled lead out of the barrel on the brush. After that I clean the crap out of my guns.

Last Knight

I know with my J-22 cleaning is necessary every time I fire it, even using cleaner ammunition (CCI Mini-Mags, preferably). It's just too unreliable otherwise - even a modest amount of powder fouling increases its already jamtastic performance exponentially.

Fun little plinker, though. :)

pilpens

Buckmark: Avoid disassembly if you can. Some bucks have issues with sight base screws backing out after it has been disassembled/assembled. Mine did and had to use loctite (purple loctite did not work so upgraded to next strength loctite) to keep screws from backing out.

My cleaning after every range trip (approx 200 rounds): tools- 3 2" patches tied (staggered so that it does not get to big to fit the bore) to end of a weed eater nylon string, Toothpick, Q-tip. Oil - any gun oil would do (I tend to use the cheaper ones that come with the cleaning kit from Walmart).
1. run oiled patch thru the bore 2 or 3 times (chamber end first).
2. use toothpick to break at build up in bolt face, extractor area and other nooks.
3. use oiled Q-tips to wipe off dirt - anywhere Q-tip would reach.
4. oil to lubricate.
5. wipe down steel parts with RIG or oily rag/patch to removed sweat and prevent rust.

I have shot a few thousand of rounds with 4 pistols (2 bucks, 2 Ruger MKs) cleaning this way with no issues. Have not noticed any lead build up.
If you become worried of build up, then run an oiled bronze brush every 2000 rounds down the bore. I can't remember when I used a bronze brush on any of my .22LR firearms including 3 rifles. I shoot federal ammo (550 bulk, #510)
----------------------------------------
GFs grandmother had a Jennings .22. Something broke on it after approx 100 rounds. We got rid of it. She now has a Buckmark 4" (used to be a hunter model). I recommend to sell/trade yours before it breaks.
----------------------------------------

Last edited:

govmule84

I appreciate the idea that some people think whacking a cleaning rod around the muzzle of a gun is doing it some good, but I still think that's sort of abusive. I clean carefully, and assume others attempt to do the same.

As far as oiling a stock to the point of saturating it, that's ridiculous. I know not everyone's a mechanical whiz-kid, but common sense has to take over at some point.

So... be nice to your gun. Try to keep it clean, and don't break it.

:p

scottl

Don't lose the star washers on base screws.If you do teflon pipe tape cures them backing out.
Field stripping the Buckmark is easy.You can carefully pull one grip at a time off to lube.Disconnector and mag safety(if equiped) is on right side.T-shaped spring on right side falls out easy.

Skans

The Jennings J-22 (if its a decent one) will work pretty good,
if kept clean
! No, it's not 100% reliable, but mine is better than 95%. It needs to be cleaned after about 50 rounds - 10 magazines.