TORNADO BRUSHES

zardoz

What are the opinions on these for maintanance of rifles? I use one for a 12ga. shotgun(smoothbore) and like it as it puts pressure on the walls of the barrel for better cleaning. How about it for rifled barrels? Anyone using a small one (22cal) for an AR?

Fred J. Drumheller

Retired Screen Name
I use Tornados on my shotguns. They're great for cleaning smooth bore muskets, but I don't see how they could clean the grooves in the rifling.

Yr. Obt. Avnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle

Noban

If I'm correct, a tornado brush is made of steel and should only be used when a barrel is on its death bed. Barrel steel is relatively "soft" and the toranado brushes will quickly remove the sharps edges from the lands.

po boy

zardoz
great for shotguns after using slugs and for handguns shooting lead bullets but don't use any oil with them use them dry before using other brushes..... <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zardoz:
What are the opinions on these for maintanance of rifles? I use one for a 12ga. shotgun(smoothbore) and like it as it puts pressure on the walls of the barrel for better cleaning. How about it for rifled barrels? Anyone using a small one (22cal) for an AR?[/quote]

Chad Young

Mr. Gale McMillan (may he rest in peace) posted on here some time past regarding these brushes and vehemently recommended against their use. Shortly after I read his post on the matter, I promptly tossed out all tornado and nylon brushes that I owned at the time. All my brushes are now phosphor bronze only.

Apparently, the steel in these brushes is hard enought to wear down rifling prematurely and should only be used if you like replacing barrels frequently. I would be curious to know, however, if they are safe to use for claning lead of out smoothbore shotgun barrels. Anyone?

bullseye

Chad, so why did you toss out the NYLON brushes? I thought they were good when using copper solvent so the solvent doesn't break down the brush.

Chad Young

Gale also said not to use nylon brushes as they too will prematurely wear a barrel. I tend to trust his expertise on such matters.