Torn between a collectible and beretta

austinjking

Usually I don't like seeing 'this or that' posts, but its now the case with me.
I'm looking at a 1903 Colt in .32 on Gunbroker for $400. It's in good condition, the blueing may have been removed or the gun might have come that way, I don't know.
The other option would be a slightly used Beretta 92 for maybe $500 to $600.
I really like both, but of course, the budget will not allow.

44 AMP

Staff
Just ask yourself...

How many times will you be able to find one of the 1903s in that shape at tht price again?

How likely is it that you will find a Beretta the same way?

I'd get the collector's piece now.

Provided, of course, you already have basic defensive handgun needs met.

David the Gnome

You should be able to get a new Beretta 92 for $500-600. Bud's has Italian models for $549 right now:

39954.jpg

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=39954

Jim Watson

the blueing may have been removed or the gun might have come that way,

It did not come without finish, Colts were blued or nickel plated. Sounds like a lot of money for a gun with stripped or worn finish.

Sevens

I'd go the other way simply because of what you said about the finish.

When it comes to collector guns that have a dollar value, you'd be best to see and handle the gun in person so that you know exactly what you are buying.

Biggest problem that I have is if it's a collector piece, as you call it, then it's "value" or worth is part of the equation. And in any firearm I've ever seen that has a collectible dollar value or worth, the finish quality is absolutely KEY in helping to determine that value. Not to mention any other parts you can't see, like the bore or the magazine or lord knows what other parts.

I also agree with the others that $500-$600 is way too much money for a used Beretta 92.

OcelotZ3

$400 for a 1903 with the bluing removed is too much.

There are quite a few 1903's on GB.com which are in better original shape, for the same or less money. And you have to take into account the shipping & transfer fees from your FFL.

I bought a 1903 in very good condition from a local pawn shop for $400 last year, original finish & grips, made in 1922. And I hadn't been looking. You'll probably find something better than the $400 one you have been looking at.

austinjking

Were any type II's nickeled? I was under the impression that only later models such as IVs and Vs were nickeled. This one is nickeled, I may have mistaken it for removed blueing.

gyvel

If it were original factory nickeled, it would be a lot more than $400.00.

My gut says that it is a refinished/renickeled gun.

Also, just look around and you will be able to find a lot of police trade in Berettas for a LOT less money than what that clown wants for his, unless it belonged to the Pope or something.

OcelotZ3

Yeah, that is WAY high for a *used* Beretta.

Heck, you can buy a BRAND-NEW 92fs Desert Storm Special Edition on Gunbroker for $500...

There is a very lightly used 92fs finishing in a few minutes at $405.