Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Browning Hi Power Pistol

Votes: 27 10.3%
  • Smith and Wesson Registered Magnum Revolver

Votes: 27 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nate45

I was just looking at my Sept 2009 issue of American Rifleman. It has a top ten handguns of all time article in it.

I thought it would be fun if I put their picks in a poll and see how the order turned out here on TFL.

Remember I'm using American Rifleman's top ten picks, so if your favorite is not on the list, don't blame me.

PS:I guess you can right in your own picks too. Or should I say I know some of you will no matter what.:)

ProjectCamaro

I chose the 1911 but my other two choices would have been the Glock 17 and the Hi Power. From there the guns aren't even close to being in the top in my personal list.

Elvishead

I think the Glock is the newest. I remember seeing it on 60 Minutes in the early 80s. I remember everybody worrying about it be able to get through mental detectors.:rolleyes:

But I voted the magnum.:D

jad0110

can't believe the model 19/66 didn't make the list!

It did. The "hand ejector" category basically covers all S&W DA revolvers made since 1899.

Thats why it was, IMO, kinda retarded for American Rifleman to include the Registered Magnum as a separate entry, as it is a hand ejector! And they even admitted such, but they included it anyway. :rolleyes: IMO, it would have been better to drop the RM and put a gun like the Colt Paterson in it's place.

As for historical significance, is tough to argue the 1911 and hand ejector being in the top 2. I love both, but I am a S&W revolver guy, so that's where I cast my vote.

CortJestir

I'm not even going to take a look at the results and take a wild guess that the 1911 is winning by a mile or two...

dsa1115

The 1911 has the longest history and it's proven for incredibly, almost 100 years which is pretty amazing. The 1911 also has the best trigger. However, the Glock 17 is more durable, more reliable, and holds 17 + 1, and with the Glock 18 magazine, can hold 33 + 1. The Glock also is nearly 50% lighter than an all steel 1911, and still significantly lighter than a alloy 1911. In my opinion, you must own both guns.

Archie

Okay, I'm a .44 Special fan

So I voted for the S&W 2nd Model.

But seriously folks, this is like voting for my favorite child.

BigJimP

Another vote for the 1911 - a well made, well tuned 1911 ( in any caliber 9mm, .40 or .45 acp ) is an easy gun to shoot, easy to learn how to run...and they have "great" triggers ... especially if tuned to about 3 1/2 lbs ....