Top 3 variables for small extreme spread?

totaldla

I was wondering if folks can agree on the top 3 variables to control to achieve the lowest possible velocity spreads.

Metal god

Rifle hold ( consistency )

Powder charge and ignition ( consistency)

Bullet hold ( dare I say it again )

That’s my theory anyways . ;-) I ran test on the first two and they matter a lot and I’m going to throw in bullet hold because it affects ignition .

Last edited:

Nathan

With standard 300 WSM loads, I can see 15-25 sd. Load development will get that just near 10. Neck turning seems to get me another 2-3 and neck tension tuning gets me another 2-3. More load development has got me set pretty solid in the 4-10 range. Which is target.

Load development = primer selection, powder & charge, bullet choice, oal setting

The thing is I generally select bullet based on the job, powder based on ideal velocity, primer based on experience (fed GMM 215)

Nathan

Shooting from a front pedestal/sand bag and a rear sand bag.....light shoulder pressure. Standard benchrest setup.

hounddawg

what I have found is a having the right powder/primer/charge weight combination for the bullet. Change any one and the SD can go into the toilet. Then you need a consistent hold on the shooters end of it

Shadow9mm

powder charge weight
primer
case capacity(consistent)

I would consider these the most important, however that are others that are important too

consistent bullet weight
consistent bullet length
neck tension.

Last edited:

Shadow9mm

Nathan

OP asked extreme spread, not standard deviation. I feel like SD makes thinks look better than than they are as it is a hi/lo from the average of the group. What is the ES for that 15-25 SD load?

totaldla

Rifle hold ( consistency )

Powder charge and ignition ( consistency)

Bullet hold ( dare I say it again )

That’s my theory anyways . ;-) I ran test on the first two and they matter a lot and I’m going to throw in bullet hold because it affects ignition .
How does rifle hold effect bullet velocity?

Nathan

OP asked extreme spread, not standard deviation. I feel like SD makes thinks look better than than they are as it is a hi/lo from the average of the group. What is the ES for that 15-25 SD load?

Mathematically, ES is not a number to work with IMO. I get we are not all statistics majors, so I just took it to Sd.

Sd represents the average deviation from the center value or mean. One flyer gets averaged in and doesn’t create bad decisions when using the numbers.

ES, especially over 3-10 shot can be real low or real high for the same population, but I find Sd for 3 shots to be indicitive of 5 and 5 of 10 and 10 of 25....etc.

My point is I want to build off small samples to better understand the population before I have 100 rounds of a load over my barrel. Too many rounds are hard on the barrel to just get a number.

My quick and dirty Sd to ES is......ES = Sd*3

Metal god

Totaidla , I’ve ’run test showing how hard you hold the rifle to your shoulder effects velocity. Not so much total velocity but rather higher ES/SD . It showed a load that had an ES in the high 20’s with firm shoulder hold went to a 12 ES with free recoil . I’ll add this was with a heavy-ish rifle of about 12 to 15 lbs with a muzzle brake which made it easier to let it freely recoil and catch it . Not sure I’d try that with a 6lb rifle with sporter barrel .

I have the exact numbers somewhere in my notes if you all want to see them . The test helped me out a lot back when I never could get my SD out of the teens . Changed how I held the rifle and started seeing more single didget SD’s . I actually ran the test live here on the forum and posted the results in real time . It was a few years ago and was not in a thread I started so I have a hard time finding it .

It was Bart B that gave me the idea to try the test . On several occasions he claimed rifle hold could effect velocity and like most I thought “yeah right” what ever . Then I figured it’s an easy enough theory to test , it doesn’t even take any real extra effort on my part . Just take an established load I know shoots well and consistent. Then shoot it over a chrono with different holds on the rifle . I encourage any and all to try it . Do an honesty test and see for yourself , just keep in mind when you’re letting your rifle freely recoil it could be dangerous .

totaldla

Totaidla , I’ve ’run test showing how hard you hold the rifle to your shoulder effects velocity. Not so much total velocity but rather higher ES/SD . It showed a load that had an ES in the high 20’s with firm shoulder hold went to a 12 ES with free recoil . I’ll add this was with a heavy-ish rifle of about 12 to 15 lbs with a muzzle brake which made it easier to let it freely recoil and catch it . Not sure I’d try that with a 6lb rifle with sporter barrel .

I have the exact numbers somewhere in my notes if you all want to see them . The test helped me out a lot back when I never could get my SD out of the teens . Changed how I held the rifle and started seeing more single didget SD’s . I actually ran the test live here on the forum and posted the results in real time . It was a few years ago and was not in a thread I started so I have a hard time finding it .

It was Bart B that gave me the idea to try the test . On several occasions he claimed rifle hold could effect velocity and like most I thought “yeah right” what ever . Then I figured it’s an easy enough theory to test , it doesn’t even take any real extra effort on my part . Just take an established load I know shoots well and consistent. Then shoot it over a chrono with different holds on the rifle . I encourage any and all to try it . Do an honesty test and see for yourself , just keep in mind when you’re letting your rifle freely recoil it could be dangerous .
Thank you - I will test that when I get a chance. Yes, I'm one of those finding it hard to understand.

RC20

I don't think hold affect ES much if at all.

a few (or many) shots of ES does not ensure accuracy. Its an indicator but not a given.

If you are concerned about barrel use, get a Savage Target action or donor and replace your own barrels easily.

The Savage Target Action while limited to medium length bullet (thin 308) is a great buy with its Target Trigger.

ES alone is useless unless you are both a good shooter and have good equipment.

You get to be a good shooter by shooting thousands of rounds.

hounddawg

You get to be a good shooter by shooting thousands of rounds.

sshhhh the guys buying the $1800 annealers, $1000 presses and $100 machined aluminum powder funnels might hear you and decide to actually learn how to shoot :eek:

RC20

Well I did buy an annelaer though it was not $1000.

On the other hand the reason was to save the cases not accuracy.

An annealed neck may result in a better round as the tension is consistent and bullet insertion is easier not forced .

But that may be a benefit and not why I got the annealer.

totaldla

powder charge weight
primer
case capacity(consistent)

I would consider these the most important, however that are others that are important too

consistent bullet weight
consistent bullet length
neck tension.
Does it matter the powder used? I.e. is a fast double-base powder worse than a slow dingle-base powder?

Bart B.

You get to be a good marksman by doing all the right stuff from the get-go.

Anyone ever sighted in their rifle very precise and never put a bullet hole dead center on the target shooting offhand without a sling?