Took the Plunge on a 60-15

deerslayer303

WOOOHOOO! I walked in my lgs today and there she was. Out of all those wheel guns laying in the case my eyes immediately focused on the 60-15 laying there. Its gently used, but in fantastic shape! The price was cheaper than any that SOLD on GB. So I plopped down some dough to put her on Layaway. Now I just have to pay her off so she can come home. This will be my new carry weapon, and I like the fact its chambered in 357mag. As soon as I get it I want to replace the front sight and pin on a red ramp. I'm super excited!!

Attachments

• S&W_60_3in.jpg
    S&W_60_3in.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 190

USMC 77-81

I like the full length underlug. I have a M 66, pinned and recessed which I carry occasionally. Be warned, as a carry gun any emergency shooting will probably be done without hearing protection. I took a shot at a Grouse with mine one time, my ears hurt for 2 days. Consider loading the first 2 cylinders with 38 special.

deerslayer303

Mykeal, The price tag on her was 499. At first I though that was too much. So I took off to go get some lunch. In the parking lot of the resturant I pulled up GB completed auctions on my phone. When I saw what most sold for, I couldn't eat I zoomed back over to the gun store and put her on layaway. I figure I'm coming out ahead, and saving shipping and FFL fees.

tlm225

You did good. I just got my 60 Pro off of GB and paid substantially more. I would have jumped all over the deal you got. Well done.

deerslayer303

Thanks tlm, Buying guns online alot had me shying away from gun stores, but I guess online is not the only way to go sometimes. But thinking about it, I've bought quite a few guns from that store and I've never got beat up too bad. I don't know who prices the guns, but they seem to be doing a good job. There is one gun store in the low country that I'm not exactly sure how they sell anything with prices being 100 bucks over MSRP.

Last edited:

riverrat38

The Speer 357MGN GD Short Barrel ammo seems to be made for the 3 inch M60's.
They are very versatile guns. Contenders for the "if I could only have one gun" contest.

Best,
Rick

rodfac

Great find...I especially like those 3" bbl'd J-frames and have carried one since the late 80's. My current piece, is that very same S&W M60-15. I carry it in a home made OWB holster similar to the old Tom Threepersons open top. It's my #1 choice for carry. Accurate, and lethal, it's usually my choice when suiting up in the am. Best Regards, Rod

smee78

Well how about an update! Come on how does it shoot?

P.S. That star is calling to you! lol

Last edited:

deerslayer303

Well I payed her off yesterday and brought it home. This thing is pure J Frame sexiness. I haven't shot it yet, it's a rainy nasty day today so I'll get out and shoot it tomorrow. I've got 2 boxes of 357 but something tells me I'll shoot a couple cylinders of 357 then move toward the 38 specials [emoji3]
bb0f0692ea537ec5fd8457ee8c3cb997.jpg

Chaz88

I've got 2 boxes of 357 but something tells me I'll shoot a couple cylinders of 357 then move toward the 38 specials

I think you are correct. It is a handful with magnum loads, fun but not all day target fun. Some target hand loads in .38 are a lot of fun though.

The worst thing I have found with my -10 is finding off the shelf holsters for it.

EDIT: For the Mod 60 3" J Frame Simply Rugged is the only IWB holster I have found that is not a custom order. It works well and can be had off the shelf for around $60. It can also be used OWB but I have not used it this way yet.

It sold as the SILVER DOLLAR S&W J Frame 3" w/IWB

dahermit

Be warned, as a carry gun any emergency shooting will probably be done without hearing protection. I took a shot at a Grouse with mine one time, my ears hurt for 2 days. Consider loading the first 2 cylinders with 38 special.
Hmmmm. Shooting at a Grouse does not immediately strike me as "emergency shooting". He did mention that it was going to be his "carry gun", which implies self-protection not a trail or pot-shot gun. In a self-defense gun, loading the first two with .38 special's is arguably not so great of an idea.

Grant D

Nice pistol!
When I bought my 2" 60-15 they had a 3" also, and I kick myself in the butt now for not buying the 3"
Oh well, just an excuse to buy another Pistol I guess. lol:)