Took the 5R out to 500/600yds today on steel

5RWill

Man it's so much more forgiving than paper. None the less fun as hell. I have yet to shoot my target from Big Dog steel. Still gotta run to the hunting camp to get a 4x8 post. Finally got some hard data on my .308 and my .223, and it feels good hehe. The rust spots are where the shots hit.

First picture is 4-6 shots i think of .308 @ 500yds idk for some reason i didn't keep count very well. Second is couple of .308 rounds and then 5rds of 77gr SMK from my mk12 mod 1. Third is last 5 shots of the day at 600yds. I didn't have any white spray paint so you might count 6 on the last pic. Man it feels great to finally do what my firearms were meant. Sorry if i seem a little to excited it's because i am :)

2z9cgog.jpg

db0xx.jpg

24l2e8p.jpg

Last edited:

farmer-dave

I've been debating about getting a 5r, do you have the full length barrel or the 20" threaded version. That's been my main holdup. Glad you like it.

5RWill

Thanks Sheep, the only thing is this isn't my Steel which is the reason for all of the dents and holes. I have a 30x18 IPSC AR500 plate sitting around which i might add to my friends range if he'll let me. Just the account noone walks up to it and shoots it with a magnum or 22-250 to deliberately penetrate it, i'd be mad as hell

Dave, i have the full 24" honestly it's one hell of a accurate factory rifle. Although this rifle has always been a temporary solution until i can rebarrel the action to 6.5x47L, put in DBM, add a new trigger, and put a finish on it. I've been wanting a custom rifle out of this for some time. If i were in the market for a factory rifle and i had decided on the 5R i would go for the 24" factory barrels tend to have lower velocity than custom barrels, for instance many forum members using a custom barrel with 44gr of varget and a 175gr bullet are hitting 2650+ hell i've seen some get 2700fps out of it depending on conditions. Mine has been bedded into a MCM A5 so that could factor into it being accurate but fact is the barrel on the 5Rs are great. I've yet to see one that didn't shoot.

375462_2205407616465_1285620147_31871976_1944084489_n.jpg

farmer-dave

I keep thinking with a good benchrest rifle it might be nice to have the option of installing a suppressor, and it might give it a little better balance for hunting. Can't argue about the added velocity of the 24", maybe someone with a 20" will comment.

5RWill

20" shouldn't be bad i just wouldn't want it with a factory barrel. Hell i have on my list the GAP Glasdius which a .308 in with a 18" bartlein. I just wouldn't want a factory 20" because i'd probably get around 2500 maybe 2550 at best out of my load.

tobnpr

Very little velocity loss with the .308 from 24" to 20".
More guys than you would think shoot 1000 from .308's with 18" barrels...

5RWill

I realize that, but my statement is towards a factory barrel and my situation. Factory barrels tend to have less velocity than custom and you can get a tight bore on a custom barrel and really get some velocity. I'm getting 2618 right now out of my factory 24 I would be looking at around 2550 at 20" which I'm not willing to sacrifice.

TheNatureBoy

Good work! I have a 5R/.308 and I'm hoping to get to the range and shoot some 175 grain SMKs in a couple of weeks. I've been up twice already but haven't been able to do what I wanted. First time there were too many people/too much chatter that had nothing to do with target shooting. Second time (about 2 weeks ago) hunting season was still in effect. Going to a different range this time with my spotter and no one else.

5RWill

Yeah this is the first time since last year i've really shot. I shot 20rds of .308 that day and 20rds of 5.56. Burnt through 100rds of 5.56 that week :eek: gun is so fun to shoot. Burnt 50rds of my .308. My .308 was starting to hurt due to the way i was positioned on the bench. There is no seat so i was laying on the bench and the stock couldn't be properly shouldered because of the height of the bench and the bipod, so it was smacking my collar bone everytime. After 20rds i was a tad sore hehe. That and recoil was rubbing my elbow raw on the wooden bench lol it was a inconvenience but a good range day none the less.