Took out the Mosin for the first time in a long time.

LloydXmas250

I just recently moved to AZ and now finally after getting settled down I went to the local range today to have some fun. Shot my pistols (Ruger 22/45, PX4 Storm, and my 1911) and my AR15 with new red dot and my good ole Mosin. I bought a piece that replaces the rear sight and allows me to put on a Long Eye Relief scope. I bought it so that I could hunt with it way back when when I was lacking funds for a true rifle. It's a little 2-6X30mm pistol scope and I had sighted it in at 100 a long long time ago. Well the range today had some metal on the hill at 550 meters and I decided to take a few shots at it using some Kentucky Windage. Wow, with a 6X zoom that metal plate was still very small. Once I figured out a hold on the target, I was amazed at just how accurate this gun still is even with surplus, bulk rounds. I was consistently hitting the target and when I did miss it wasn't by much at all. It would be fun to try something even further just to find its limitations. All in all it was a blast. Fun rediscovering such a fun, cheap gun to shoot.

mhmiller62

Lloyd,
Glad to hear that you got the Mosin out. What year is it and where was it manufactured? I have a 1943 Tula thats a pretty good shooter but the longest I've fired it was at 45 yards. I'm thinking of getting another if I can keep my wife from finding out. (she says I have too many guns:rolleyes:) NONSENSE! you never have too many guns.

LloydXmas250

I don't even consider it a gun. Haha. It's a toy to me. If a gun costs less than $200 it's a toy. It was built in 1931. It's not a Tula, I can't remember the name. Starts with an I though. I refinished the wood which was nice cause it brought out the stamps and carvings better. The scope mount is completely reversible as well so no damage in putting it on. It's one of my favorites to shoot.
48d3afe5-883c-fcb4.jpg

48d3afe5-884d-913e.jpg

Last edited:

LloydXmas250

It's from this site: Mosin Scope Mounts

They have way more choices now. I went with the 9170 Weaver style. It's solid as a rock after you add some locktite. And it's reversible. Just poke through those and find one you like. Of course if you get one that mounts that far up make sure you buy a LER scope for it.

Yung.gunr

Ha.. I took my Mosin out today here in AZ as well. Mine is all original other then a rubber recoil pad. While I do have some extra padding already built in on my person, that metal on the butt would beat the heck out of me. The recoil pad makes a big difference, it's a nice setup where it is made specifically for the Moist Nugget (as my Bro and his Air Force buddies call it).

It was a lot of fun today, I did a lot better shooting it then I ever have in the past. I think that can be attributed to the use of the sling while shooting. I don't think I'm using it quite right, but it is really working. I imagine that when I learn how to use the sling correct it will be even better..

I always feel I have to stick up for it because gun snobs like to talk about it being Minute of Barn. But, it sure is a hoot to shoot for not much dough.

Irish B

I equiped mine with an ati synthetic stock, tri rail scope mount, flash suppressor, bipod, and 16x50 sniper scope. It's my sniper rifle. I love how tight the grouping is on that old piece of art. I prefer to shoot it over any modern rifle.