Took a Colt to the range today.

SaxonPig

After work I took a shiny Police Positive Special to the range. Pictured is the gun...and the box of 357 Magnum ammo I took with it.

standard.jpg

James K

Member In Memoriam
Even if you can get .357 to fit, it should not be fired in a PPS revolver; the gun simply is not made for such heavy loads and will soon begin to come apart at the seams.

Jim

15plus1

I am gonna guess that the joke was that you brought the wrong ammo for the gun you intended to shoot?

357 Python

HighValleyRanch, it depends on when this particular Police Positive Special was made. I used to work with a security officer way back in the 1980s who had a blue 6" Police Positive Special. He occasionally fired 357 Magnum ammo in it. I was perplexed as to how that was possible. He told me that before the 357 Magnum was made most revolvers were bored straight through the cylinder. Since it had no cylinder throat it could chamber the 357 Magnum easily. Was it safe? I don't believe so. He was very fortunate the little revolver didn't let go.

SaxonPig

No joke. I took a PPS in 38 Special to the range...and a box of 357 Magnum ammo. At least I didn't have to clean the gun when I got home.

I wish I could say this never happened before. On several occasions I have taken the wrong ammo...or none at all. One time I brought the ammo and forgot the guns. I'm old and I have punched and kicked in the head a lot.

PS: I doubt the cylinder on a PPS is long enough to allow a 357 to fit.

745SW

Could be worse. There has been a situation where loaded gun was needed immediately but the gun used of the two available was unloaded.

Personally I don't keep a loaded piece with a unloaded in the same spot.

reddog81

I hope it wasn't the only gun you brought... I've forgot ammo or magazines before. There's nothing like reloading a new test batch of ammo then heading to the range only to realize you forgot to bring a magazine.

mikejonestkd

I feel your pain, that has happened to me several times.

Just last fall I bought a beautiful pre model 24 smith and several boxes of light target loads for it to the range last fall....too bad the ammo was all 44 mag. I had left the 44 special loads sitting on the bench as I loaded up for the trip.

:eek:

DaleA

Consider this as insurance.

When you get old and folk say 'Gosh he's getting forgetful. Should he be put away?'

All your close relationships will be able to say 'Nah. He's been that way all his life.'

James K

Member In Memoriam
AFAIK, the Colt PPS (the "S" stands for "Special") never was chambered so it would accept .357, but the first (prior to c. 1903) New Army and Navy revolvers (and military equivalents) were. The .357 Magnum did not exist when those guns were first made and the chambers were bored straight through, with the barrels drilled .380" for the old Colt .38. When Colt cut the chambers with the proper shoulders and rifled the barrels for a .357 bullet, marksmanship improved radically.

Jim