Too many guns?

BlueTrain

When I was growing up, few people had guns that I was aware of. Nobody went out shooting anywhere (almost) and I seriously doubt many had more than two. But you never knew. After all, one of my neighbors was a gunsmith.

I have a few photos of my father with a gun. One when he was young, holding some sort of .22 rifle and standing with his sister. Another when in the army armed with a .45 revolver in a reverse draw holster and yet another with a shotgun. But we had no gun in the house when I lived there. Later, when he lived in the country, he evidently considered a gun necessary and acquired an eight shot H&R revolver.

Now there is me. I have had two or three dozen guns. Everything from a .25 Colt auto to a .303 Lee-Enfield sniper rifle complete with case. I have learned something from every one of them, almost, had fun with most, haven't hurt anything but one rabbit, one squirrel and one rat (killed with a BSA Martini .22 short). My wish list is still as long as my arm and ranges from a .303 Martini-Enfield to a 9.3x62 rifle, with a few others in between.

Yet I do not carry a gun (whether I ever feel the need is beside the point) and I do not hunt. My father, by the way, hunted all the time when he was young but never did hunt deer. I don't think there were any!

So, what do you think? Am I justified in owning any weapon--meaning guns, in this context. At the moment I only own three handguns and five rifles. I don't remember the last time I shot one either. There has always been the economic factor to consider.

To broaden the question, is anyone justified, or to put it another way, is it a good idea, for someone who does not hunt or keep a loaded gun for protection, to even have a gun?

This might be a loaded question, to be sure, (keep answers pointed in a safe direction) and you never know where the thread will lead.

Te Anau

The size of your current collection is adequate.I have more guns than I need,but always seem to find another must have. :confused: Non-hunters absolutely have the right to own and occasionaly use a gun of their choosing.As long as they are trained in its use and are aware of proper maintenance techniques,theres no issue.

shaggy

To broaden the question, is anyone justified, or to put it another way, is it a good idea, for someone who does not hunt or keep a loaded gun for protection, to even have a gun?

Absolutely. Its not a matter of needing a justification or explanation to own guns. Ownership of a gun is not necessarily just the means to an end (hunting, self defense, etc.) - it can be the end in itself. IOW, you can own guns, not as a tool for hunting or as a means of self-defense, but simply because you want them.

I've got several of the same type guns in my safe; why? Its not as if I can shoot 10 AR15's all at once. Do I need them, or even that many? Nope. But I want them, I have a right to buy and own them, and I work hard so I can afford to buy and do the things I want and enjoy. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

tripytrucker

To each his own.We all have things lying around we will never use or have any use of.We are packrats my friend.I have a collection of model big trucks around my wall,my wife has a collection of snowmen around another wall. Are they useful? no. Are they valueable? no. Do they serve any purpose?no But still they are there as little pieces of history.I have drove a truck like that or wanted that truck,I got that snowman in Jersey or that one in Cali.As I look at what you collect I am envious.I don't hunt, I do love to shoot and although your guns aren't for protection,they are there and will be if needed. If you are looking for an excuse to have them, proudy say This is American and I can ! not everyone can say that

cortez kid

I go after the dreaded paper target. If it breath's, I leave it alone. As far as too many guns, I've past the 2 dozen mark for smith handguns. The problem for me is the more I get , the more I find out about. I really think it's a conspiracy!
kid

Eghad

Ill probably have too may firearms when I am dead....

but then there will be a couple of lucky nephews

Sulaco2

My oldest keeps telling me that we need to rent a table at the gun show and sell off some of mine to make some room in the safe,.....I am beginning to think he is right. But I had a reason for buying each one, some more practical than others I admitt :D

leadcounsel

I echo the thoughts of the poster in many ways. I also have a collection (albeit smaller) of guns which I hope to grow larger.

I believe in hunting but don't practice it. I don't believe in sport killing (we are too wasteful of precious life IMO).

I collect guns because I'm a guy and like tools. I also firmly believe in the 2nd Amendment and the reasons behind it. If pressed I would fight for my beliefs and lay down my life for a greater cause.

I also believe that violent crime happens unexpectedly. I have been the victim of burglary and nearly the victim of a suspected armed robbery (On the dark streets of Philly, a hoodlum was approaching with what appeared to be a weapon and I left the situation immediately). Hence, I carry a pistol 99% of the time. I also wear a vest and usually carry a flashlight and pocket knife. You could say I'm well prepared for the unexpected.

Finally, I was thinking about my rationale for collecting guns. In part it's history, in part it's coolness, they're useful and fun tools, it's my right, self and home defense. But, in many ways I've realized that America is just a couple of stupid Columbine or WACO incidents away from complete restriction on firearms and I want to grow my collection now while they are cheap and easily available. I think that is a good emotional and financial investment.

JR47

Waco isn't a good example of why we're losing our rights. Instead, it's a good example of how absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I've collected weapons since I was seven years old. My sons and daughters are lined up for when my wife and I pass away. Hopefully, that's decades away. I collect them because of the times they represent in my life. The times they represent in my parents, and grandparents, lives. I also collect them because many of them are representative of the ideas of men who were intelligent enough to develop them without computer modeling, or the ability to produce today's metals and alloys, yet were all too successful.

I need them not. Well, maybe a pistol, a shotgun, and a rifle for hunting and self-defense. Then, most people hardly need the behemoth SUV they drive, either. Or the huge TVs, Stereos, and 4000+ sq. ft. homes for two people to live in. Do men and women need vast amounts of jewelry, shoes, and clothes? Does a family NEED a cruise?

There's a vast difference between want and need. You need something to allow you to survive. You want things to allow you to survive in comfort. Why people would pick and choose things that THEY don't find important to be right or wrong only shows how little they understand. If a small group can ban anything as unnecessary, they'll not stop until they are forcibly stopped, or have banned everything. :mad:

leadcounsel

I used WACO as an example because the left forcefed their 'shock' at the stockpile of military hardware the Davidians had accumulated. I was in college at the time and remember the media blasting the Davidians as 'crazed gun nuts' and 'why do people need military weapons?' So, in that sense it brought a lot of scrutiny. Also, If I recall, Brady was shot with a small caliber pistol in the attempted Regan assassination in the 80's. The Waco incident occured in '92 or '93. The AWB occured in '94 on the heels of Waco and addressed "Assault Weapons" and hi-cap mags among other things, which the Davidians had stockpiled. I don't think it's a stretch to say that it wasn't coincidental.

In Colorado, the "gun show" loophole (and probably private sales loophole soon) was closed soon after the Columbine. Also, right before Columbine in '98 or '99, Gov. Owens was going to sign the CCW shall issue law into effect. Once Columbine occurred, the bill was tabled until years later when it went into law in '02. So, Columbine effectively delayed the law by a few years and nearly killed the shall issue law.

USP45usp

I know one man (he should be in his late 80's by now if he is still alive) that had a library with I would figure at least 500+ working rifles and handguns.

Man never shot a gun in his life (or so he said, I don't know personally).

He told me "Some men collect statues, some men collect paintings, and other's collect eggs. To them, it's Art. To me, firearms is my Art of choice".

Me, I look at them as the same. If I could secure my home so that it would be 90% secure from theft, I too would display my guns instead of having to hide them behind a locked door where people that visit my home can't admire them.

And, why is it now the "norm" that we have to justify our own personal actions (like taking a firearm into the bathroom or having in town, at 9pm at night, and having to get to your vehicle) to anyone?

IMNSHO, we don't have to justify anything that we have chosen for ourselves, to anyone.

Wayne

SIGSHR

It's the old Double Standard. In New Jersey a few years ago a cop in Ocean County went on a shooting spree, killed 5 people with a department
submachine gun, barely got local coverage, led to no thundering editorials in the liberal press about the need for "Gun control" to get "weapons of war" off the streets. In 1982 a South Korean policeman went on an alcohol induced
shooting spree, in 8 hours he killed 59 people with government issued weapons and ammunition. How many have heard of Jesse Dirkheising? In the
same week that the homosexual student Matthew Shepherd was murdered in
Wyoming, two homosexuals raped and strangled 13 year old Jesse in Arkansas, at their trial they claimed it was consensual "rough sex" that just got out of hand. The jury didn't buy it, they got life in prison. But the Matthew Shepherd case recieved national attention, Wyomng was attacked for not having a "hate crimes" law.

yorec

Huh? Too many? Sorry, I'm just not programmed to fathom such a thought... :D

I'll never "use" most of the guns I have either. Still that doesn't mean I'm going to get rid of them. OR that I'm not going to get more!

blume357

my excuse

I'm pushing 50 years old and have absolutely no retirement / investments. Seems too late to get on that band wagon and since I work for myself, actually have no plan to retire to Florida anyway. So, my investment plan right now is to put what money I can into an ever increasing collection of guns. One a month if I can afford it. If something happens to me, my wife will have something she can sell with ease.

I grew up with guns, hunted a little... but have no desire to do so now. Have killed enough things over the years for several life times, but I do like to shoot.

Last edited: