Too bad it's a Glock...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaxonPig

The wife started a new job a few weeks ago. She's a city attorney. Among her duties is to prosecute cases in some courts. In this state prosecutors are considered to be law enforcement officers. She was told she will be issued a badge and she can buy a Glock (like the local PD carry) at cost from the police supply house. She chuckled when she told me this because she knows I hate Glocks. "Too bad I can't get a gun you like," she laughed.

Um, I assume the badge lets her carry a gun? I've tried for years to convince her she should get a permit but she has no interest in packing. Still doesn't and won't buy the Glock.

I wonder if she can deputize me? I suggested blue lights on her Mustang but she ain't going for that either.

No handcuff jokes, please.

ClydeFrog

Strange....

I find it fascinating that many states & juristdictions do not have sworn LE officer status for prosecutors or DA's office/State Atty's Office lawyers.
I think the Commonwealth of VA has them as does the DA's office prosecutors in CA.

My state doesn't have sworn LE status or arrest authority for the State Atty(an elected position) or the prosecutors.
Our former state atty was a former elected county sheriff for over 10 years & I think is in LEOSA(Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act). He was also a US Army officer and SE Asia combat veteran who earned a Bronze Star, :D.
His re-election ads for state atty showed him in his sheriff's uniform with a 1911a1 .45acp .

If it were a open choice or required, I would have no problem carrying restraints, guns, badges, etc as a prosecutor or city atty.
I don't think Id use a Glock but Id carry a main sidearm & BUG(back up) in most cases.

Jokes & humor aside there are events where judges, DAs, corrections officials, wardens, etc have been attacked or assaulted so it's not a trivial issue.

Clyde
PS; some may not know too that AUSAs(federal prosecutors) are considered federal LE officers & get LEAP benefits/LE officer pay rates.

Spats McGee

Administrator
SaxonPig, you're not in Arkansas, are you? I ask because we had a new assistant city attorney start in our office a few weeks ago, and I told that person yesterday that she would be issued a badge and could buy a Glock through the Blue Label program....

Anyway, whether the badge allows her to carry is a matter of state law. It may also be up to the discretion of the local Chief Prosecuting Attorney for the district as to whether he'll authorize her to carry, and there may be few other factors thrown in.

SaxonPig

I think you are indeed one of my wife's new colleagues. Are you the one with the daughter anxious to go hunting?

What are the odds on this coincidence?

Spats McGee

Administrator
The odds must be much higher than either of us had anticipated. Yes, I'm that new colleague. No, the badge will not let her carry a gun, because of the way state law is written. The Grand Poobah Prosecutor of our judicial district would have to authorize her to carry for that to happen, and he doesn't do that. In other districts, prosecutors are indeed authorized by the district's prosecutor to carry, but not this one.

Other brands may also have first responder/leo/prosecutor programs through which she can purchase discounted pistols, so it's worth looking into that. I'm only aware of Glock's Blue Label program, but if Glocks aren't for you, they're not for you.

BOPLEO

Just curious but why do they issue a badge and a pistol that she cannot carry. Is she post certified? Does she have powers of arrest?

Spats McGee

Administrator
Nobody "issues a pistol and a badge" to us. The city issues the badge. A few years ago, it didn't even do that. In fact, we were the only prosecutors in the district that were not issued badges. The city does not issue a pistol. The Glock Blue Label program (http://us.glock.com/bluelabel) will allow her to purchase a pistol at Blue label prices. This is a purely a Glock program which would apply whether she was a prosecutor at the city, county, or federal level.

Those who qualify include:

Sworn Law Enforcement officers, including Federal, State, County, & City (Includes retired L.E. officers with "retired" credentials)
EMT’s, Fire Fighters, Volunteer Fire Fighters, and Paramedics
Military personnel including Reservists and National Guard with I.D. (Includes retired Military with "retired" credentials)
Corrections Officers, including Parole and Probation Officers
State Licensed Security Companies (Loomis, RAM, etc.)
State Licensed Armed Security Officers
Court Judges, District Attorneys and Deputy District Attorneys
LE Academy Cadets with enrollment documentation from the Academy

So the two issues are separate: (1) city issues a badge that does not allow her to carry (except in certain circumstances which are not present for us); and (as a separate issue) (2) Glock offers the Blue Label Program to LEOs, first responders, judges, prosecutors, etc. Glock isn't connected to the badge and the city isn't connected to the pistol.

No, prosecutors do not have arrest authority in Arkansas. We are "law enforcement officers," but we are not "certified law enforcement officers," as we did not graduate from the Arkansas Law Enforcement Academy. Under Arkansas law, lots of stuff tied to carrying under the authority of a badge requires being a "certified" law enforcement officer.

BOPLEO

Thanks. Some states give the Deputy DA's the option to become LEO's if they pass the written portion of the states post exam and qualify with a firearm. No academy required and they would have full powers of arrest.

I thought maybe it was the same in your state.

SaxonPig

It figures there would be an in-house authorization required. I could carry at work if the administration chose to authorize it... which they do not.

As for Sherri, I've suggested several times over the years she should get a carry permit but she is not interested. She would not be interested in carrying now, either. I was just curious.

Oh, BTW, please don't hold my activities or comments against her. She regularly disavows any knowledge of my actions. :D

PS: She said you asked about the Benton Gun Club. You and any member of your family are welcome at any time to come out as my guests.

SC4006

Isn't an attorney a part of the judicial branch? Why would attorneys receive any law enforcement powers anyways when that is the job of the executive branch? Just remembering basic stuff I learned in high school, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about though.

Bart Noir

There is no small amount of coolness in two TFL brethren meeting this way. I sincerely hope you guys can become friends, to include wive(s), obviously.

I guess I could reach out to some TFL members who are in the Puget Sound region, if I wanted. But to have somebody already knowing both of us, that is unlikely.

Actually, if a new shooter posted a very basic question about shooting safely and made it plain that he or she was in my area, I would invite them as a guest to my private club for some hands-on noise making. I do this with some of my co-workers as a matter of habit.

Bart Noir

SaxonPig

SC4006- varies from state to state but in some judges, prosecutors, etc are considered LEOs to varying degrees. I was aware of this and was going to ask her if she gets a badge but she beat me to it.

DaleA

Spats - thanks for post #7. I was wondering pretty much the same thing Bopleo asked.

On a related note there was a famous case in the Twin Cities of a man that kidnapped a woman and her 8-year old daughter. He was eventually caught but during his trial he got some kind of knife and when the woman was on the witness stand he moved forward and slashed her face.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ming_Sen_Shiue

It wouldn't bother me if the prosecuting attorney was armed, or the judge. I do wonder about the defense though...my worry would be the defendant getting the gun.

Good luck to your wife SaxonPig.

dogtown tom

SC4006 Isn't an attorney a part of the judicial branch? Why would attorneys receive any law enforcement powers anyways when that is the job of the executive branch? Just remembering basic stuff I learned in high school, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about though.
Because attorneys are not judges.
Judges= "judicial branch"
Prosecuting Attorneys/District Attorneys/States Attorneys= "executive branch"

Spats McGee

Administrator
SaxonPig, thank you for the kind offer. I'll take you up on that some time. As for Glocks, they're not for everyone, and I spent many years not liking them myself. However, I got one back in about May, and then spent about 6 months with it before writing A Grudging Review of the Glock 19.

SaxonPig

My experience with the Glock is limited to one magazine full I shot about 22 years ago. Holding the gun felt like shaking hands with a 2x4 and it's just so damn ugly. I know they are wildly popular and owners swear by them but I have no use for one. I believe function follows form. If it looks good it will work good.

This is my idea of how an auto pistol should look...

standard.jpg

8MM Mauser

Saxonpig: you should try it anyway. If you don't like it again, sell it for profit.

Also, stop comparing Glock to a 1911; it's a different beast really. If you take it for what it is it you'll see the simplicity in the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.