Tokarev T33: suddenly single action Question

doofus47

So my Romanian Tokarev and I took a trip to the range yesterday. It's a fairly common occurrence since it's my cheapest pistol to run.
I loaded up some Polish 1985 surplus from a batch I have been using...
He shoots, he scores (poorly, as per usual unfortunately... ).

The cartridge split, but ejected. A new round cycled normally, the hammer was cocked.
--Then things went weird.
I pulled the trigger and it wouldn't budge. I pointed down range and removed the mag. I cycled the slide and cleared. I could then pull back my hammer and release it by pulling the trigger.
I reloaded, took one shot and the same thing happened. If I removed the mag, I could release the hammer, then re-cock manually and the hammer would release with trigger pull.
I figured the mag was somehow blocking my trigger mechanism.
I changed mags. Same story; same ending.

I am guessing that the sear/release isn't engaging correctly when being set by the action. Maybe that the leaf spring in the handle might be worn.
I took it apart and nothing appears dramatically wrong.

Anyone have anything like this happen to their T33?

thanks

Fiv3

You might be onto something with the sear, but that is just a guess.

I have a similar issue with my P-64. Now, I know it's a different gun, different cartridge, different action, etc. However, while it works fine in SA, trying to fire it in DA just makes the trigger hang dead in the water.

If I remove the mag, it'll fire, decock, and everything without an issue. It has something to do with the gun having a round in the chamber, I guess.

good luck to you.

Scorch

The disconnector is either jammed or damaged. Take it apart for a thorough cleaning and try it again. If it is still not cooperating, disassemble and see if the disconnector has something stuck in it or is burred, or perhaps bent.

doofus47

Are you sure the slide is locking up when it slams a new round in?
I'm pretty sure it is locking shut. On the second mag, I cycled a round and tried again, with the same non-result. I'm not sure why it would lock and fire when I manually picked up the first round of the second mag but not the second. But it's worth a second check.

The disconnector is either jammed or damaged.
yep, another good one.

doofus47

UPDATE

So, I remembered that I had bought a spare recoil spring way back in the day when I first bought the pistol. I found it, eventually, and finally got out to the range today. I shot 32 rounds of Yugo 50s and Polish 80s.
All problems gone.
Now ya know the rest of the story...

JohnMoses

I had the exact same thing happen. My smith traced it to the cheesy aftermarket saftey - the hole was clearly oblong. Sometimes it ran 100%, sometimes it wouldn't run at all. I just removed it (don't tell my lawer)