Tokarev question

chris in va

My neighbor has a Tokarev copy, not entirely sure of the manufacturer. It's not Russian or Chinese Norinco, I do know that. Might be a Yugo as it has a safety.

It appears to be in really good shape and everything seems to function as designed although I haven't had a chance to fire it yet.

I know this is a bit vague, but looking for a value as she's asking if I want to buy it. She paid $250 for it a few years ago.

CWKahrFan

Maybe this'll help:

http://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-guns/zastava-m57

This (factory new) m57 is pretty good considering the price (though I have trouble shooting them super-accurately). I have one in regular 9mm and used to have one in 7.62x25mm (which is a nifty caliber IMHO).

7.62x25 milsurp ammo is basically dried up now but three or four companies are producing new so it's quite available with a little looking... It's more expensive than 9mm though.

Last edited:

chris in va

Is it possible to get a 9mm barrel for these? Do the original mags work with 9mm? I'm not looking to buy a gun that requires .50/rd ammo.

DubC-Hicks

Yes, it is possible. I had a Norinco Type 54 with both barrels. There are 9mm and 7.62 mags out there. 9mm works just fine in the 7.62 mags, but the 7.62 won't work in the 9mm mags because they have a small spacer in the back of the mag.

Catfishman

For me the Tokarev was a lousy gun. Awkward in my hand, didn't point well, bad sights, ammo got harder to find, SD ammo was very hard to find and it's way too loud to shoot even once without hearing protection.

Oh yeah, the safety is a poorly placed cheap add on.

The gun functioned perfectly for me, but it failed to feed several times for my brother.

I really like the idea of the 7.62x25 ammo but the reality stunk.

DubC-Hicks

I never once had a problem with my Norinco Tokarev. It ran with the best of them, and was just as accurate as the 1911's I've shot, which really surprised me. Mine was a great gun, and I regret selling it. I've been hoping to find another in 9mm someday.

doofus47

minus the problems with surplus ammo, my tokarev ttc was a joy to shoot in 7.62x25. it shot wolf jhp brass without a hiccup and was accurate and durable. It was my woods carry gun for years. If you could find one in 9mm, it's not a bad gun to have and might be very dependable.
Full disclosure: I bought mine b/c I was a fan of the 7.62x25 round. Once the cheap surplus disappeared, I sold it.