Today's mkt. prices for CMP Special S.G. from '13?

My M-1 was shipped from Anniston in '13 and never used (it's not my only Garand). It is "nib", so to speak.

The CMP no longer has that exact category on their website, or did they redesignate these H&R actions having new wood?
Their present "Special" category is different and these have some sort of new barrels.

So how does one determine market value for the type I'm describing in the title?:confused: By the way, it is Only available for a FTF/in person deal in west TN. No exceptions.

Ibmikey

Your description is confusing mainly for a lack of information as to condition. In the past CMP offered a "collector grade" is that what you have? Your certificate should indicate grade which you can match with your receipt for price then and compare to today's CMP offerings.

Ibmikey

Your description is confusing mainly for a lack of information as to condition and type of parts (new barrel etc. In the past CMP offered a "collector grade" is that what you have? Your certificate should indicate grade which you can match with your receipt for price then and compare to today's CMP offerings.

HiBC

The CMP Special is a Garand that CMP has gone through and ,for lack of a better term,remanufactured. .
It will have a Criterion Barrel,a new stock,it will be re-parkerized.

They have a "like new" look.Nice tool.

Some people have other priorities.They prefer a rack rifle in good condition that still has the patina of history.
They want that rifle to still carry its story,whatever that may be.

Value??? Couldn't say. Mine is not for sale.

springer99

IIRC, back then, the CMP offered two types of CMP specials. One type(called the CMP special) mated well-used but re-parkerized receivers and other used refinished parts, coupled with new commercial wood and a new criterion barrel. I think the pricing then was around $800.

The second type of CMP special (called the CMP SPECIAL GRADE special) featured original Springfield barreled receivers that came from storage(essentially NIB) but still coupled with a new commercial stock. This version sold for $900.00

Obviously as such, neither type would have much collector value, but if you had an original stock, putting that stock on the second Springfield NIB parts, would basically give you a "collector grade" Garand. Very much in demand.

Both are great shooters though and IMO, probably worth at least 25% more than that in today's market. The remaining MI's are drying up quickly.

if you have your original invoice, it will list the grade.

Ibmikey: sorry about the incomplete info.

springer99: maybe my memory of their exact wording is faulty. My impression was that in July 2013, the CMP website listed these as either "Special Service Grade", or "S.G. Special" with the H&R actions ('55) and "correct parts" listed some place, plus new wood.
The word "Special" then had a very different meaning than is used now on the CMP website.

The list price on mine was $900 or very close to that. The blue tag on mine says "M.E. 1+, T.E. 2+".

As bench rest shooting into Paper has never 'grabbed' me at all (no sir), I sold the gun today FTF to a first-time M-1 owner who is retired. Also selling two or three of my other unused milsurp rifles. But...keeping/using my regular Service Grade now and then for 300-yard gongs (but must drive an hour to a guy's land-the MSSA club range allows no rifle gongs:().

Last edited: