To Wannabe Clowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiBC

Some people like clowns. Like Blinky and Bozo. Some people don't like clowns.

There is another firearm forum that has a subforum for jokes and humor.

At this point,TFL does not. Regardless of the merits of that idea,

The reloading room or forum,is just not the right place for clowns.

The stakes reloading are high. Potential serious injury,death,burning the house down. Anyone who has ever had a shop class knows the rule "No horseplay in the shop"

There is just about no limit to the scenarios a beginning reloader can "Discover"
IMO,its really good when they post their questions here.It helps them find a safe and successful path.

And many of us bend over backwards to help them all we can.

We are pretty darn good at treating honest questions with respect.

We don't shame the reloader who asks if he can substitute Bullseye for H-4831. We just clearly and adamantly suggesrt "Don't do that"

But recently apparently,(per what the OP revealed in a post) we had a wannabe clown make what he called a joke post about sharing loads made with contaminated powder mixed with ethics.

I for one would like to state the reloading forum is not the place for clowns,jokers,or horseplay.

Thank you.

reddog81

Sarcasm doesn't go over very well when written and put online.

Sarcasm in a reloading forum doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, it just confuses a lot of people.

I found the referenced post kind of amusing, but a reloading forum is not really the right place for it. I'm not sure where the correct place would be...

44 AMP

Staff
we are not humorless martinets, nor should we be. However, as noted humor and sarcasm often aren't clear in the written word. This is why we have the "Smilies" to convey emotional intent. People should USE them. :D

Or you can simply add a clarifying line like "(sarcasm intentional)"

Nothing wrong is a little humor, even in handloading, but there are lines where, if crossed, it goes from humor to poor taste, and possibly even dangerous advice.

UNLESS you take extra steps (smilies or a text message) to show you aren't being serious, we generally assume you are, and respond as such.

rickyrick

I retired from Internet clowning, lol. I think I’ve been on my best behavior here in 2020.

The rest of the year has gone to crap, but I’ve stuck to my resolution to not be a troll.

The annual zombie thread was fun, but it played out quickly lol.

Some other boards have a “lighter side” forum that can be interesting.

And to make sure this is firearms related ... pew pew.

Metal god

I was part of that thread and was very surprised it went on as long as it did . The mods here are very strict in my humble opinion and the fact that it went on as long as it did surprise me .

I’ll add that I agree that the written word does not allow for inflection , tone or facial expressions to be read along with the sentence and paragraphs therefore things can be taken negatively or humorously depending on where your own head is .

All’s I’ve got to say about this is look out for my thread on April 1st next year ;):D

Last edited:

Swifty Morgan

First of all, does this thread really belong here? Is this what the reloading area is for? Complaining about posts that triggered you? If I didn't like something someone wrote here, I would just move on to a different thread. That being said...

Why not just post my username? It's not like I can sue you. I made a funny mistake while reloading (which was corrected instantly), and I posted about it in order to share a laugh at my own expense. I thought other people might laugh along with me, and they might not feel so bad about their own errors.

Having been a participant in various types of Internet forums for many years (machining, woodworking, cattle farming, amp building, electronics, cooking...you name it), I know how forums work, and generally, they are quite open to people contributing lighthearted content about their own mistakes. Maybe there are people on this forum who have zero sense of humor and no ability to tell jokes from serious remarks. If so, I guess I can put on my Mr. Serious pants from now on and make a special accommodation in order to avoid triggering the humor deprived. I can remove all humorous content from future posts, and if I try, I may manage not to engage other people as human beings. Maybe the forum should be rigidly controlled in order to suit the easily offended regardless of how anyone else feels.

I am not interested in changing the culture or making the rules. Whatever the mods want is fine by me. I just want to show up and get useful information. I don't have to be friendly or get to know people.

What I wrote was very, very obviously not intended seriously, and anyone who could not figure that out has a rare condition. I don't know how I could have made it plainer without a big disclaimer in capital letters.

A guy I know on a machining forum put up a hilarious post about one of his accidents. He was welding, and his pants burst into flames. It was very entertaining, and everyone on the forum enjoyed it. Good thing he didn't post it here. Welding is dangerous. And very serious!

Metal god

This one ain’t gonna be around too long . Haha

OP must be looking to be a Moderator seeing how he thinks it’s his place to regulate . :p

higgite

We're getting pretty melodramatic for a reloading forum. Tune in tomorrow for another episode of "As the Shell Plate Turns".

Swifty Morgan

Starting this thread was just a way to defy the mods after the other thread ended. Personally, I had no complaints when it was closed. I'm grateful for the free forum. I don't think defying the management is a good way to show gratitude. They can do what they want in their own house.

Jeffm004

I missed it :\ I enjoy a little wit but most of what you find here is dryer than gunpowder.

Be safe, have fun, in that order :)

JohnKSa

Administrator
The mods here are very strict in my humble opinion and the fact that it went on as long as it did surprise me .
I was trying to pay attention to it, and at least initially it seemed that folks were handling it pretty well and everyone was "getting it".

I kind of assumed it would continue in that vein, but, as we all see, I was mistaken.

I think that at this point, everyone understands the situation, all the way around on this one.

Now, I could assume that everyone's just going to keep playing nicely together on this thread and leave it open...

No, you're not getting me twice in that short a time!

Status
Not open for further replies.