To Sell? Or not to Sell?

Lee6113

Ever since I started buying guns a few years ago, I've always told myself I would never sell any that I purchased. Every gun I bought for a reason and without a critical reason to sell, I wouldn't sell any.

Well, here's a dilemma. I received a Walther PPS m2 from my dad for Christmas that he didn't want, and so now I have two of almost the same gun. I own the M1 already, and now I have a sister for it in the M2.

So, I admit the thought has crossed my head to sell one of them. But I'm not sure if I will or not.

Walther PPS m1:
- I like the grip better with the stipling.
- I only have the two magazines for it (7 and 8 rounders.)
- the spring is very tight in my M1, so wracking the slide is tougher though not a problem.
- the sights are good, but they are night night sights.
- I like the German magazine release better.

Walther PPS m2:
- a little more sleek, less blocky, and perhaps a hair lighter because of it.
- came with 3 mags (6,7,8 rounders)
- right handed magazine disconnect button, which I don't like as much.
- the grip texture isn't as aggressive, which makes the gun feel less sturdy in the hand.
- the spring is very loose, to the point where it'll just fall out during disassembly. Also causes the slide to be very easy to wrack. I looked into this and seems standard with most m2s and does not appear to be a functionality issue.
- comes with factory night sights.

I shoot both well, and I have carried both on a daily basis (they share a holster, being basically the same gun). I will say I've carried the m2 more often when I have to wear a tucked in polo for work, with the 6+1 magazine, however, I had done fine with my 7+1 previously with my PPS m1, and I can always just buy a few more mags for it also. I've actually been meaning to do that.

So, long story short, should I sell one or the other? Should I keep both? I suppose I should keep both, but then I'm not sure. I know my wife would probably be happier with another $350-$400ish in the bank, if I could get that much for it. On the other hand I could just make a few more sales at work to supply that $3-400.

Thoughts?

Auriemma

If you enjoy both pistols... keep both. Especially if you can make it up elsewhere.

Now, that being said, selling one and adding cash does get you another even nicer pistol. I know that doesn't help.

ZenShot

Sounds like you prefer the M1. Trade the m2 in on another gun on your wish list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Targa

I'm a bit of a sentimental soul, if it were me I would keep the one my dad gave me and sell the other.
I have a Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch that my dad gave me. If I had bought the shotgun myself it would not have been my first choice but because it was a gift from my dad it will be with me until I take a dirt nap...:D

ritepath

One of these days your Father will be gone, even plastic mass produced guns will mean something to you.

Ditch the M1 if you want and buy a Steel CZ to pass down to your Son/Daughter.

Or keep the M1 and stick it in the safe, and then go buy a CZ.

keithdog

Well, if it were me and I wanted to sell one or the other, I would sell the M1 and get a pair of Talon grips for the M2. My reasons are as stated by a couple others. It was given to you by your father. I only have one gun that my dad gave to me and I will never part with it although it simply sits in my closet, an old 20 gauge Mossberg. Also, the M2 has the easier slide which for me is a huge plus as I have started developing arthritis in my hands and wrists. Hope that helps.

JDBerg

I wouldn't give up my own PPS M2 for any reason whatsoever. That trigger was great when I got it and it's even better now after about 1,500 rounds. I agree on the rubber Talon grip for the M2 to get a little better purchase on the grip. I don't have one for the M2 (yet), but I like the Talon rubber grip that I put on my G-19 a lot.

sigarms228

Before selling keep in mind that it is very difficult to find NIB Walther PPS 9MM in case you ever have sellers regret. Walther might not make them any more either from what has been heard. I love my original Walther PPS and can't imagine ever selling it.

PolarFBear

Keep Dad's gift

$350-400 in the bank. It will evaporate in a heartbeat. Your Dad's gift will ALWAYS be near to your touch. If $$circumstances permit keep both. If you must sell make it your's. I have not shot either model. But I do have a PPK/S .380 and German made "real" PPK/S .22. Both fine guns.

Obey Cheapshooter's rule!

Hillbilly Jim

Just as a matter of principal, I never ever sell a gun that was gifted to me.
If someone thought enough of me to give me a gun I could not sell it.

Lee6113

I knew I could count on y'all to knock some sense into me! :D

I shall keep them both. Plus I already just bought a HK USP .45acp a few weeks ago so I shall simply just enjoy them all.

Cheers!

Lee

Targa

Ah, not sense just different perspectives for you to chew on..:D. Sounds like a good decision to me, eliminates any regrets.

rodfac

Your Dad's gift will ALWAYS be near to your touch.
If you sell your Dad's gift, you'll always...always, especially in later years when he's gone, regret it. He shot it, handled and cleaned it, gave it to you...you can do the same for your son or daughter when the time is right...DON'T SELL IT. Rod

Last edited:

Lee6113

I suppose I should tell a little background on the scenario, even though everyone's points still stand, and I've already decided to keep both.

My dad was pistol shopping for a carry gun, and purchased the m2 on my recommendation after I told him how much I liked the PPS. He bought it, took it to the range a few times, decided he'd rather have a glock, and rather then selling the PPS m2 he decided to surprise me with it for Christmas. So it wasn't in the family for more than two weeks before it came to me, haha. But that doesn't change my shock upon receiving such a wonderful gift. It actually was the first gun anyone bought me, and one of the most memorable presents I've ever gotten.

Thanks Dad!

JDBerg

The Cabela's out here (north of Denver) had a good deal, $349.00, on a new "original" PPS (now called the "Classic") but it was a .40S&W, I think most of the 9mm guns are M2's love mine!

Targa

That is exactly how I got my Mossberg. Dad bought it, we took it to the range, he hated it, I didn't so he gave it to me...:D

Your dad gave you the M2, don't sell it. Personally I wouldn't sell either gun. An extra $400? Unless you find yourself in a desperate situation, what's a few hundred bucks...

Cosmodragoon

Yes, Targa, but these forums are indexed for the ages. The questions live on for anyone else who is wondering the same thing. For those curious souls, I say "sell the M2 and put it towards something else that will actually add to the diversity of your collection".