To PSS or not to PSS...

LevelHead

That is the question..

Well they've got one at my local store that I've been eyeing, though I have no -ahem- need for it. :)

What I REALLY want is a Sako TRG-22 or 42. :D

Think I should just wait and get the rifle I really want, or "settle" for the PSS?

I've already got a nice Mark IV to mount on it too...

TargetShooter2

Pss

Hello
The Sakos are a nice rifle , but for 2000+ you can have a Pss for less and they should be able to hold their own against a Sako .
once you do a trigger job, and get a couple hundred rounds through the barrel they come in . i would also consider resale value as well , if you wanted to sell a Sako you would have to find someone who wanted one and had the money to spend on it.
i have a Pss & Ltr after the barrels go i will have G.A. Precision do a Mike Rock stainless 5R barrel job on them . also for the same amount of money you can get a Rock . both of my Remmies shoot the same hand load Sierra 175 match both rifles shoot sub moa.
here's a link for my rifles .

http://cards.webshots.com/cp-19938869-dgJO-album/33442159wPrBdd

http://www.gaprecision.net/cnt/pro.php

TargetShooter2:)

M700

The Sako is nice, but for the money I think I'd buy the 700P and just add stuff to it as I go. In fact, thats what I'm doing.

Resistance is futile. :)

Bogie

The real question is how well does it shoot. Here's what I'd do...

Go to WallyWorld, and buy a Remington 700. Unload the trigger, stock, and barrel.

The action goes to a benchrest-quality gunsmith, and gets cleaned up. $200

It gets a new barrel, chambered for whatever you want. $450

It gets a Jewell Trigger. $150

It gets a McMillan Stock. $450

It'll now shoot better than just about anything out there. Total cost in the area of $1,500 or so. You can lower it by keeping the stock/trigger.

Kaylee

Think I should just wait and get the rifle I really want, or "settle" for the PSS?

Always, always, always.. just get what you REALLY want. It might take a little longer to save up, but otherwise you'll likely just end up losing on a trade next year when you decide to "upgrade."

That said, I like Bogie's idea.

-K

BusGunner007

NYRSCCA has a good idea.

Ususally, I'd agree with the others in holding out for what you want, but the 700PSS is such a good platform to begin with...
There are many good points to consider here.
Spend the $ on what will essentially become a 'custom' rifle?
Buy something you may not keep and have a hard time unloading?
Get the PSS and shoot it as is and decide if it needs to be fixed or not?
The least expensive option is to get the PSS and shoot it to see what it does.
You may be surprised and end up with a lot of money in your pocket to boot!
Good luck on the decision.
I'm glad I got my PSS in .308 and I'm leaving it alone for now.
I very much resembles NYRSCCA's rifle; almost exactly.
Works for me!

Bogie

One thing to consider - the PSS is NOT out of Remington's custom shop - it's basically an regular action, and as such, will need the same custom truing, lapping and aligning that you'd do with a Wally World action.

Another thing to consider would be an action like the Rampro. Nice stainless semi-custom action.

Or a REAL custom - $950 will get you there, then you add your barrel, trigger and stock.

Levelhead,

I'd have to agree with Kaylee's advice, wait to purchase what you REALLY want.

That being said, I do own a 700P and am extremely happy with it. Once the barrel is "shot-out" it will on it's way to George Gardner from G.A. Precision. He just doesn't know it yet...

Jim

LevelHead

I see a common thread (with some exceptions) - buy a PSS and have it worked on.

I think part of the lure of the Sako is that I don't want to have to get my rifle worked on. Some people dig that - I can't stand it. When I buy product, I wnt it to already be the best. Not always the cheapest or best option to be sure, but I positivly hate to buy something and ship it out to get worked on.

If I bought the PSS, I would 98% likely keep it as-is. I'm pretty sure I would be selling the PSS in a year or two to get money for the Sako anyway...

Of course the lure of getting a PSS *today* is the problem. :)

Redhook

Just as a point of reference, I purchased the PSS in .308 and my friend got the Blaser LRS2. Granted, I had a year to tweak the Remington before my friend got the LRS. All I really did was a full barrel break-in and adjusted the trigger myself. He bought the LRS because he too didn't want the hassle of having to work on his rifle. Where it all settled out is... Generally, they shoot the same! Now, His best group is better than my best group. But, as we all know, you can't shoot your best group all the time.

He's repeatedly tells me that he should have bought the Rem, but he doesn't seem to want to trade me for some reason.

On the flip side, I envy the fact that with a two screw barrel change out and a bolt component change out, he's shooting .300 win in about five minutes. Now that's nice.

-Red-

M700

It sounds as though you have allready made up your mind. You want the Sako. You would be better off waiting and getting what you really want. It may be tough to wait, but you will probably be happier in the long run.

Good Luck.

Bogie

Just remember - a custom-smithed rifle will shoot better than the Sako... Just might be prettier too... I _love_ the spiderweb barrel etching that Speedy Gonzales does, and Col. Stevens' fluting is a work of art.

Since you'll basically be building up the action, you don't need to spring the bucks for the 700PSS - Just get a regular 700, and go from there...

ol blue

I shot factory class (stock) benchrest with a PSS in .223 for a couple of years before moving up. It's really a toss up as far as accuracy between the Rems and Sakos. Usually the Rems would win because there were more of them. It really depends more on the shooter than the rifle. Nothing says you will get a super accurate Sako, in fact a guy I know at the range is sending a brand new one back because it shoots paterns rather than groups. He paid quite a bit for it too. That can happen with any brand factory rifle. Overall, at my range, the Rem 700s rule the factory class, with an ocassional Sako or Savage trying to knock them off their roost. As Bogie says though, none of them will even come close to the accuracy of a well done custom....ol blue