To Mal H or other VA residents

Navy joe

Well I found my way to Va Citizens defense league and was pleasantly surprised to find them, but didn't care much for what I found there. First was the "Operation Scarlet letter deal in Bath County, but worse is the stuff up in NVa. What does anyone know on here about localities such as Fairfax, Faquier and others trying to require FBI fingerprinting for CCW liscenses? I was unaware that Va did not have a preemption law, but I feel we somehow need to get one seeing this.

corv

Navy Joe,I don't know the legal mumbo-jumbo about this but I do know that some counties in VA do require fingerprints as part of the process.It is probably something written in the law by the General Assembly allowing the localities this option.I didn't have to be printed to get my CCW but a guy I work with was required to be printed and charged an extra $5.00 for this "service".Hope this is of some help.

johnbt

Yep. It's all local.

State law says training is optional, fingerprints are optional and, in addition, a locality may charge less than the maximum limit of $50 for a permit.

For instance, when I took a one-day class to qualify to get a permit issued by the City of Richmond Circuit Court, we were told that Richmond fingerprinted. Turned out they used to, but had decided to stop.

When my father asked about getting a permit in a rural county the same year he was told to go sit through the free hunter education class offered by the game dept. Really.

John

When I got my permit in 1995 I was fingerprinted by Fairfax County.

When I had it renewed in 1998, the County had stopped fingerprinting.