To Keep or Not to Keep

TunnelRat

Hi all,
So my LGS just got a new M&P Pro in 9mm, the 5" model. I have been thinking about maybe trying some IDPA or USPSA. I also have the service model. I want to get the Pro model but idk what the point of keeping the service model would be. I have a 9c that I use for carry. I have the money for just the Pro but of course trading or selling the service would help. Right now I use the service for home defense but I don't see why the Pro couldn't do that. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Gaerek

If you have no reason to own the shorter service model, I don't really see any reason to keep it. I personally don't sell/trade guns very often (I've regretted it both times) but if it's a case of one gun getting used and another becoming a safe queen, I'd say trade it in, and use the extra money for some new sights and ammo or something.

Another thing to consider, since you mentioned competition, but having both, you can configure one as a competition gun (trigger job, etc) and one as an HD gun, without getting into any potential legal pitfalls using a modded gun for defense.

But if you were just going to shoot it stock, I'd go with trade.

TunnelRat

The Service model as it sits already has a APEX DCAEK in it, so neither is truly "stock". Though at least the Pro came from the factory that way.

I say buy the Pro model and keep the service model. That way, you can keep the svc model ready to go for HD. At all times. I think keeping more guns around is always a good idea. I keep dedicated HD guns, Range guns, and a packing travel gun. Keep in mind most guns have "down time" when your cleaning, modding, maybe having hard chromed or whatevever. This way your always covered and not left without a gun when you need it most. ;)

TunnelRat

I'd keep it to complete the set.

Lol. I guess this was sort of like asking a bunch of shopaholics if I should buy a new pair of shoes.

Planning on picking it up separately. Of course then I'm going to need a Shield too...:D

ScotchMan

I generally think its a bad idea to sell any gun you like. But I see the logic if its being replaced with the Pro.

I do agree it would be nice to have the HD gun just always in HD mode. No loading and unloading and all that garbage. And its another gun that uses the same mags which has a multitude of benefits.

I'd keep it, but if there was any financial pressure as a result of the Pro purchase, I wouldn't feel too bad about letting it go.

cvc944

Another vote for keeping it. The old Smith & Wesson revolvers are expensive for a reason. A friend of mine believes the old pinned and recessed Smiths are going to go up in value at a rapid rate. The only thing that would be worse than selling a firearm is to sell it and then watch the value skyrocket.

pilpens

If you are just starting out with competition (IDPA, etc) and your current service model M&P pistol is legal for those events, just run your current pistol in the games as is.
When you have gained more experienced in the games and have determined that your pistol is limiting you, then change pistols.

If you just need to have the pro model --- then you must get it.:)

TunnelRat

I don't want to get too much into the modified guns for HD or home defense, but I'll give my $0.02.

Modifications I do typically don't alter the weight much. Usually on an M&P I installed an APEX DCAEK, which is a Duty Carry Action Enhancement Kit. They also make a Competition kit but I've never bought one. All it does is bring the weight down from say 6.5-7 lbs. to 5.25.-5.75 lbs. I never go below 5.25 lbs. At 5.5 lbs. it basically has the same weight as a stock Glock except with longer trigger travel before the break. The reset and overtravel are also improved as compared to a stock M&P.

Do I worry about this? Honestly, no. I live in a very gun friendly state, however, with stand your ground laws and everything else. It would take someone with specific knowledge about just M&Ps to even notice that it's not a stock trigger. And then there's the fact that I installed parts specifically made/marketed for Duty/Carry. But I do see where the concern comes from.

Gaerek

Looks like your best bet is just to get and keep both. Less regret that way. :) The DCAEK, btw, is designed/marketed as a carry mod. Shouldn't be an issue.

TunnelRat

Looks like your best bet is just to get and keep both. Less regret that way.

I think so. You actually brought up a really good point on your first post in this thread about having a firearm specifically for just home defense and one specifically for just competition. You're right that I probably will at some point want to do some mods that while good for competition might be a bit awkward for home defense. Having both allows me to play around with my competition gun a bit more.

My G19 is my CCW. Mainly factory aside from night sights and a factory G17 smooth faced trigger.

My G17 is a stippled competition monster.

I also agree with both.

Frank Ettin

Administrator
There has been a considerable off-topic excursion into the question of the use of modified guns for self defense. A bunch of posts have disappeared.

And to be clear, that topic will not be discussed in this thread.

That topic has been discussed extensively on this board, and if anyone is interested in the subject, links to relevant threads may be found in this thread in post 18.

Gaerek

I think so. You actually brought up a really good point on your first post in this thread about having a firearm specifically for just home defense and one specifically for just competition. You're right that I probably will at some point want to do some mods that while good for competition might be a bit awkward for home defense. Having both allows me to play around with my competition gun a bit more.

That was my thought. I do a decent amount of competition, but usually just use my basically bone stock G19. On my list of guns to get is a G17 or better yet, G34 that I can really tweak. Of course, there is significant benefit to competing with what you carry...but more guns is always better. :D

Of course, there is significant benefit to competing with what you carry

I completely agree with that too. That's another great way to train and be extremely adequate with what you carry.

The place I go to actually encourages and prefers that you do just that.

I don't know..I have more respect for it that way. A 1lb trigger and extended this and extended that with fiber optic here and there, just doesn't have the same feel.

Gaerek

A 1lb trigger and extended this and extended that with fiber optic here and there, just doesn't have the same feel.

Race guns are fun, but what even more fun is beating the guys with race guns using my carry gun. :)

TunnelRat

Race guns are fun, but what even more fun is beating the guys with race guns using my carry gun

It's certainly true that some folks try to buy stuff to put on/in their guns in a hope it will magically make them better shooters. Professional instruction and rounds down range are the best investments a person can make.

That said, people do reach a level when they can notice the differences added by certain features. When it's for competition, heck why not?

Gaerek

That said, people do reach a level when they can notice the differences added by certain features. When it's for competition, heck why not?

I'm with ya. My second love (though, I haven't been real active lately) is photography. It's amazing how many people think that buying a $2500 DSLR camera body, and another $7k in lenses will somehow make them good. The results are usually pretty disappointing. But you give someone with the talent and experience that same setup, and they'll blow your mind.

A race gun is on my list of "to gets" but that's a ways away right now.