To HMR or not to HMR?

taylorce1

I really don't need a .17 HMR, but what does that have to do with anything right! I have a .22 WMR but ammo is crazy expensive when I can find it, not so bad if I find it on a trip to Bass Pro or Sportsmans Warehouse in Colorado Springs. However, if I have to buy it online $150 + shipping for 250 rounds seems to be the asking price. I can pick up 500 rounds for about $150 or less shipped in .17 HMR.

I hit Wally World today and Big R, found a Marlin and a Savage blued heavy barrel rifles that I'd be willing to drop the coin on but didn't like the size of the synthetic stocks on either. The LOP was just off, and made me feel kind of like I was shouldering my daughter's Davy Crickett hot pink .22 lr. Then there was a Savage with laminated thumbhole stock that was the right size, but I hated the thumbhole stock and the price.

I think I'd really like the Ruger 77/17, just I have no business buying a rifle that expensive at the moment. Since I'm not working at the moment and living of a disability insurance at the moment I've set my budget at $500 total, $300 +/- for a .17 HMR rifle and the rest for ammo. I'm not worried about optics I have that covered, and then some. So what rifles am I missing besides the Ruger American I should be looking at?

I realize that I've only handled two rifles, but that's all I had available for me today. However, if they all feel like those two, it's making me wonder if I should even look at the .17 HMR. I just miss having a more powerful rimfire than the .22 LR, but don't recommend the .17 WSM I don't like the B-Mags either.

Sharkbite

Look into the Ruger American "PREDATOR" version. My buddy had a 17/77 and put it up for sale cause the RARR actually shot better

He and I both bought RARR in 17hmr and LOVE them. Interchangeability of the buttpad (including cheek rest hight), the Predator version is MUCH nice then the standard RARR.

We took dremels to the barrel channel to free float em and that made a big difference in groups.

We both just ordered the same guns in 22lr, to become our new suppressed bolt guns. These guns ROCK!!!!

taylorce1

If you're talking about the Ruger with the green stock and no sights, according to Ruger's web site they are a dealer exclusive and not made in .17 HMR. I've looked at Ruger online but haven't been able to handle one locally yet. I'm not in any hurry to buy, so I guess I'll keep handling a few.

I might just pick up another M700 ADL in .243 though for about $20 more than my budget for the .17 HMR. I've got a ton of 55-58 grain bullets and 4000 fps will do nasty things. Plus I have several .223 rifles to shoot varmints with as well. I really don't need the HMR at all, but I've been intrigued by the little .17 rimfires for a few years since I observed the .17 HM2 laying waste to prairie dogs.

Mobuck

I have both Ruger's 77/17 and RAR 17HMR and can truthfully say the RAR is an OK knock around rifle but not even in the same league as the 77/17. If you're on a budget, go with the RAR over the Savage or Marlin but just understand it's a "price point" firearm.
I bought a youth model with the shorter barrel and threaded muzzle. It's accurate enough but hasn't showed me any cloverleafs like the 77/17 has. What it has done is shown a weak point in the design--the extractors. When using the muffler, I need to carry a bore snake and pull that through every 15-20 rounds. Otherwise, fired cases will stick requiring a cleaning rod for clearing.

Guv

I know what you are saying about 22mag ammo.:eek: But ask yourself this, just how much 22mag ammo could you buy for the price of a new 17HMR rifle.

taylorce1

Guv said:
I know what you are saying about 22mag ammo. But ask yourself this, just how much 22mag ammo could you buy for the price of a new 17HMR rifle.

Well both rifles I looked at today were around $260 after tax. So for my $500 budget I can get the rifle and 1000 rounds of .17 HMR 17 grain V-Max ammunition. For my $500 budget I can get 1000 rounds of .22 WMR in the 30 grain Federal TNT ammo my rifle likes.

Txhillbilly

I just bought 250 rounds of Hornady 30gr 22 Magnum ammo from Midsouth for $10.63 per 50. That's the cheapest I've seen in a long time. It should be delivered tomorrow!

taylorce1

Txhillbilly, I got the alert in my email for it but it was sold out by the time I went to the web page. I picked up 500 rounds last fall from Midsouth of the Hornady V-Max 30 grain .22 WMR for about $120 by the time it was delivered. I haven't tried the stuff yet to see if my rifle likes it. I also have 500 rounds of the CCI 30 grain TNT ammo as well as some assorted 40 grain soft and hollow points. Most of the ammunition for my .22 WMR was just being lucky and finding it on the shelf at stores.

JWT

I have a couple of .17hmr's and really enjoy shooting them both. Ammo is readily available at a reasonable price. It is an amazingly accurate little cartridge. Fun to shoot.

Sharkbite

Knock the RARR all you want. My buddy is selling his 77/17 and keeping the RARR in 17

It is not an expensive gun to be sure. But, it performs WAY better then the price would suggest. Ive got under $300 into the gun and its a SOLID performer.

SwwPlayboy

First time I ever heard of a 17 HMR, I kinda laughed (not understanding what it was mind you. I just knew a 17 was smaller and a 22.) After a weekend of watching what it could do, I went out an bought one the next day. The 17 is a wicked round. Bit louder than I'd like, but cost wise vs the 22 wsm, 17 is the way to go, all day. Its a fun round and its cheap. If you invest in one today, its not some wild cat round that's gonna disappear in the next few years. You wont regret that purchase.

Mine is a savage. Great gun, cheap price. Got it online.

Mobuck

"Knock the RARR all you want. My buddy is selling his 77/17 and keeping the RARR in 17"

Just relating MY experiences.
My 77/17 was fired 300-400 times before needing a bore cleaning but had NEVER left a case stuck in the chamber. After nearly 10 years of use it has NEVER left a case stuck in the chamber.
The RAR started have the "stuck case blues" at less than 20 rounds w/o the muffler. I should have returned it right then but thought it would "get better"-it did but only marginally so. The extractor is nothing but a C-shaped spring thingy with no defined "hook" to grab tight cases.

rr2241tx

My wife and I have a pair of the Cabela's Savage 93R17s that we bought about 5 years ago and have taken sage rat shooting three times. Over 6,000 rounds through each without a single function issue. We practice by shooting paint balls off golf tees at 100 yards, so have to say the 17gr Hornady (made by CCI) works pretty well out to about 200 yards. Rat shooter buddy was not happy at all with his Ruger 77/17. Sample size 1, so take it for what it is worth but our Savages were a good value.

JWT

kcub, I have the 1885 low wall .17 hmr with the case hardened receiver. It is really a beauty. Great to shoot, very smooth action, and amazingly accurate. A bit pricey, but well worth is as far as I'm concerned.

Sharkbite

Sharkbite where did you order your Predator from?

My FFL found a couple of em last year at a shop back east (Va, I think) At that time they were really hard to find. So, we paid the shipping and just ordered em.

My buddy just found a couple of the 22lr Predators at a shop in Texas. The rifles are out there. You just gotta search around to find em.

That gun is as accurate as you would ever need a 17 to be. We have hit Pdogs at a laser ranged 311yds. 4 shots---3 dead dogs. We drove out to find em and look at wounds. Found all 3 dead at their holes. Layered back to the hilltop we shot from and got 311. All dogs had good but not great wounds at that distance. Good enough to kill em DRT and not allow em to get back down the holes.

Good enough for me

taylorce1

Well I located a Predator online, but am hesitant to order it without at least handling a similar rifle. It will cost over $100 more than the Marlin I found and $50 vs. the Savage. Plus I can pick up a CZ 455 American for only about $50 more, decisions are tough.

taylorce1

I got to handle a Marlin 925M today with the wood stock, it's the best fitting rifle I've touched so far. If the 917 is anything like that, I think that is what I'm after. I'd just like to find one with a varmint barrel.