to fragment,or not to fragment. that is the question?

G'day. I have been reading about different projectile types and the size/type of game that they may be suited to take.
This post is along the lines of which caliber except I am not interested in a specific firearm, but rather what style of projectile for small to medium size game.
What projectile do you use?
What is your muzzle velocity?
What range do you shoot?
What size animals is it good for?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've used the .223 on prairie dogs, jackrabbits and coyotes. Mostly, 55-grain bullets at around 3,000 ft/sec. I've shot the pds and rabbits to 300 yards or so, but haven't needed to go beyond 100 on coyotes.

I've killed maybe 20+ bucks with my .243, loading the Sierra 85-grain HPBT. to a tad over 3,000 ft/sec from my 19" Sako carbine. I doubt I've needed to go beyond 200 yards. Mostly neck shots or cross-body heart/lung shots. Devastating load on coyotes. 55-grain bullets do horrible things to pds, running near 3,800 ft/sec or thereabouts. Another good varmint bullet is the 70-grain Hornady spire point. Most folks use 95-grain to 105-grain bullets on deer.

From a 26" barrel '06, I get about 3,000 to 3,100 ft/sec with a 150-grain bullet. My rifle has been happy with Sierra, Hornady and the Remington Bronze Point; Bambi was equally unhappy. Mostly kills to 200 yards, with one at 350 and one at 450. Mostly bang-flop.