To Fire or Not To Fire

lonegunman

Do any of you have guns you wont shoot because you are afraid it might get damaged, scratched, or otherwise rendered less valuable?

Personally, if I wanna just look at a gun, I would go to a gun show or museum... If I own it, I gotta shoot it!

Guy B. Meredith

Yeah, I have a S&W PC 627 V-Comp done on a special production run with special serial numbers that commemorate the occassion (International Revolver Championship). I decided the same as you. If I had a 1950s Ferrari, it would spend time on the track and street also.

James K

Member In Memoriam
FWIW, I will shoot about anything I own except for:

1. Guns for which ammo is unavailable or extremely costly and cannot be made.
2. Guns which are known to be delicate and for which parts are not available.
3. Collector guns in 100% NIB condition, unfired.

I shoot anything else.

Jim

loknload

Shoot / No Shoot

I'm like Jim up above. I only have two or three I won't shoot for collectors reasons. Everything else goes to the range ;)

Shoot/Don't Shoot

Well, the other way around it is if you've got plenty o' gusn, what does it matter if you don't fire a few of them? That's the way it otta be.

Mike P. Wagner

WESHOOT, I'm with you. I have never understood collecting. When I had a little N Scale train, people were collecting unassembled box car kits. I said, "Huh?" I sort of feel the same way about collecting firearms to not shoot them. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Mike P. Wagner

WESHOOT2

DIDN'T SAY I DON'T UNDERSTAND

And can certainly accept folks collecting guns as art (considerably more intrinsic value than a Monet), but FOR ME, my guns are tools.
They protect me (although it's my mind that makes me safe), they feed me (although I have never {successfully} shot a game animal), and they stimulate me (IPSC rules!).

Oh, and they help me manufacture the very best ammo.

M16

Sure I have guns that have never been shot. I have a couple of M16's and MP5's that are new in the box. Then there are the Browning Hi-powers and Smith & Wesson blued models that have never been shot. It's not that hard if you have extras of the same model that you can shoot on a regular basis. If I only have one of a particular model though more than likely it's gonna get shot.

PKN

Hmmmm, NIB MP5s...hmmmmm

Your a better man than I M16. I only own one gun I haven't shot yet, and that's simply because I haven't gone clay busting lately(Gun is a Remington M17 pump in 20ga that belonged to my great grandfather).

Redlg155

I'm with the group that says if you own them, shoot them.

I am not in a financial position where I can enjoy the luxury of owning a weapon purely as an investment in the future. Even If I were, I would have to occasionally shoot them.

Besides, how could I part with my babies after all those years of keeping them safely hoarded away?:D

Good Shooting
RED

M16

Ah don't worry PKN. I have shooter versions of all the guns that I have NIB. If I didn't have another shooter version of a particular model it would get shot.

scoops

i find myself fireing my favorites more than the others.all my guns 20 or so and my wife has seveal,are all fairly modern so they are not ever going to be collectables,so i fire them all.my oldest are 1961 german makarov and a 1976-78 mini 14 all wood no plastic.i shoot them very fequently.now if i owned a 1st gen colt peace maker im not sure id shoot it ,aint likley i will so no need to worry.
why preserve something for someone else to enjoy????

Herr Walther

I have several I will not shoot; NIB Walther 100 Year Anniversary P.38, NIB German made (1983) TPH 6.35mm, Walther Models 4&7, MI5 Special Edition P99. Oh, and an AC41
First Variation (a block) P.38 LNIB.

All of the rest are on alert.